Sunday, July 6, 2008

You Can Never Be Too Careful With Chicken...

Up until recently I haven’t done much cooking where I had to handle raw chicken. Normally I just use the frozen Tyson’s chicken tenders or frozen chicken breasts. This way I have been able to avoid handling the chicken, which is good because it’s really kinda slimy and gross.

But, I decided recently that some skin on, bone in chicken breasts might not be all that bad. They definitely have more flavor and aren’t as dry as the frozen stuff. But, that meant having to handle chicken and that also meant dealing with the fear of contaminating the entire neighborhood.

To hear them tell it on TV raw chicken is the most dangerous thing in the world after Islamo-fascism. Exposure to even a teeny-weeny bit of raw chicken can render one completely incapacitated and kill you in a matter of seconds. Kind of like being forced to listen to Lindsay Lohan’s CD.

So, I decided not to take any chances. I got a special plastic board to use for the chicken. The chicken breasts came in packs of four so I needed to wrap them individually which meant handling them in some way. Something that I don’t really enjoy.

Oh sure, I enjoy handing breasts. Quite a bit in fact. Just not raw chicken breasts.

Which reminds me .....

Memo to the person in Ft. Walton Beach Florida who made his or her way to my blog four separate times using the following searches:

1. “Giada de Laurentiis naked or topless”
2. “Rachael Ray naked or topless”
3. “Nigella Lawson naked or topless”
4. “Sandra Lee naked or topless”

Sorry I couldn’t be of any help to you. Best of luck on your search, but I don’t think your going to find any of what your looking for. I mean, I haven’t, so I doubt you will.


Anyoodle, I had to wrap each chicken breast up in some tin foil to put it in the freezer. First I put on some safety glasses. I don’t know if they were really necessary, but why take chances, right? Next came the surgical gloves and over them some thick rubber gloves. I used tongs to actually pick up the chicken and place it on the tin foil and then wrapped the chicken up and placed the foil wrapped chicken breasts into zip-lock bags. After I wrapped up each breast I washed my hands vigorously in scalding hot water using anti-bacterial soap and then sprayed them down with Lysol. Of course this left my hands as red as Madonna’s ass on a Saturday night, but I just didn’t want to take any chances.

After I got that part done I took the tongs, the plastic board, the rubber gloves, the surgical gloves and then finally the goggles and placed them into a big zip-lock bag and sealed it. Then I stuffed that bag into a “hazardous waste” bag.

Next I sprayed down the counter with some Formula 409 and cleaned it up. Then I used some Lysol anti-bacterial cleaner on the same area. And then cleaned it up one more time with some really hot water and even more anti-bacterial soap. Then I did the same thing with the sink and the fixtures. I put each of the towels I used into the hazardous waste bag also. I washed my hands one last time and sprayed them and everything else in the kitchen down with Lysol one more time too. Finally I put the towel I used to dry my hands with into the waste bag and sealed it. Then I took that bag out to the dumpster and set it on fire.

I hope I’ve done enough to keep myself and everyone else in my building safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment