Tuesday, August 26, 2008

hilary clinton is one strong woman.

Again, I want to discuss my thoughts and opinions about the Democratic National Convention and today I saw Hilary Clinton's speech. That was pretty much the only reason I tuned in today because I wanted to see how she would endorse Obama. Everyone knows Clinton has been a big Obama basher throughout her campaign (maybe even more than attacking Mccain?) and how could she just turn around and say "obama is soooo great, vote for him!".

Well I noticed there was a major standing ovation for her in the beginning. She couldn't even start her speech until at least five minutes passed because people would not shut up. Was it me or was Michelle Obama looked a little stiff lipped while smiling after like five minutes of people not quieting down and cheering Clinton? Well her goal was pretty much supposed to solidify the Democratic party and remind voters that they need to stick together and vote BLUE regardless if they are a hardcore Clinton fan. And there were quite a FEW hardcore Clinton fans (probably 60% women), my mom is a major Clinton fan too. Overall her speech was okay. She did not mention Obama lot and I don't think she really secured that he was the right choice. But I do like the direction she took in her speech. Instead of being cheesy and praising Obama (like the other hundred speakers...), she stated that
"I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me? Or were you in it for that young Marine and others like him? Were you in it for that mom struggling with cancer while raising her kids? Were you in it for that boy and his mom surviving on the minimum wage? Were you in it for all the people in this country who feel invisible?"
Her speech's purpose was to remind the Democratic Clinton fans that they need to vote because of their beliefs, the changes they want, and not because whether or not they love the presidential candidate. So I am a cheesy person and I did like her personal touches of the couple stories she mentioned her speech like the woman who adopted two autistic children and had cancer and the marine. It is just one of those American things that I can't help falling for. And she tried to highlight that we vote for the "issues" not for the person.



I think she somewhat accomplished the goal of reminding the Clinton fans that they are there for the support of their party. But she did not give the confidence that Obama is the person who can accomplish it all. But I am okay with that because I would have felt she would be a hypocrite if she did. But I think her speech mostly spoke out to her fans. And it was more of thank you message and message to say "please don't vote for mccain or not vote at all because i am not the candidate". But honestly, Clinton was a confident speaker. I think she does have that confident, presidential swagger.

"No way. No how. No McCain."

But to talk about hardcore Clinton fans; CNN interviewed this one lady and she was a HARDCORE fan and she was tearing up talking about Clinton and that she was sad that she saw a real president up there. And she said she did not know what she will do because she was DEFINETLY not going to vote for Mccain but she was not confident in Obama's abilities and she believed in experience and he was not experienced. She said she was very undecided if she was going to vote. And interesting fact...she was African-American.


I think the youth needs to be more interested in politics so I hope I educated some interest in someone. My AP government class has just started (second day of school -___-) and he encourages a lot that we watch the news and keep up to date in politics and it has definetly boosted my interest. And plus it is sooo fun to participate in class discussion about politics. It really fires me up. But I am just a dork like that.


-- ck.

No comments:

Post a Comment