Thursday, January 24, 2008

letter about myself to my english teacher

Dear Ms. G.,

I would like to graciously introduce myself to you through this letter. Usually when teachers ask me to write extra personal information besides my name, number, address, and my parents' numbers, they ask the basic things like my hobbies, my favorite things to do, how many siblings I have, etc. I will try and answer those typical questions and MORE.

I have never really had a clear definition of hobby. As defined by dictionary.com, a hobby is “an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation". I always assumed a hobby was something like collecting stamps or baseball cards. Well, an activity for relaxation for me is going on the computer. The computer is pretty much hours of endless entertainment for me, until my eyes start to hurt. I also like to watch movies and lots of tv when I am not busy doing my endless amounts of homework or stressing about not wanting to do my homework. If watching trashy soap dramas is a hobby, it would be mine. I also like to watch Asian dramas (with or without subtitles) which can be even trashier than American soap dramas. It is way for me to worry about someone else than worry about myself or the chaos in my life. I love going to the movie theater (though they are overly overly overpriced) when I can because I love the movie theater experience, minus the loud people, the cellphones, and the overpriced food. There is nothing more relaxing than being immersed in a film next to people you can enjoy it with.

I will try and be brief about the favorites. My favorite color is purple at the moment. I would say a dark purple would be most appropriate. Not maroon or lilac, but a deep rich purple. I don't have a favorite book because I've read a lot of books and they all fall into different categories of favorites. I am a fan of series like HARRY POTTER and the Chronicles of Narnia. I haven't met many books that I haven't liked, except for Moby Dick. That was a boring book. My favorite types of books are historical fiction and just plain fiction. I dislike most fantasy books and scientific-fiction. I don't have a favorite artist but at the moment I have been listening to Colbie Caillat, Clazziquai, and Paramore. I don't have any particular taste for music. I actually think country music is okay. I listen to everything and anything. International artists included, from Europe to Asia to America. Music is food for the soul. I don't have a favorite food because there is just too much food to be a favorite. For dinner, I had a Korean pizza which consists of a flour mix of seafood, green onions, potatoes, mushrooms, etc. You cook it kind of like a pancake actually. My favorite show would probably just be the Food Network channel in general. It is the most entertaining and delicious thing to watch. Too bad I get hungry every time I watch it which leads to late night snacking. Though I am pretty nerdy, I do like to have fun. The best thing to do when hanging out with my friends is karaoke or make videos. It is the silliest and best thing to do when we are bored.

And now more about me. My birthday is April 30th. I was actually supposed to come out as a boy but miraculously, I was a girl. My parents didn't have a name planned out for me so my mom picked my name from one of the baby bags they used to hand out with names on them. I am the oldest of four children, soon to be five. I have a younger brother who is a freshman at Sheldon. My two little sisters (12 years old & 9 years old) go to Mary Tsukamoto Elementary. My mother is currently pregnant with another child and it was a total accident and now I don't think I am going to college because of it. My father is Korean. He came from South Korea in the late 1980s. My mother is Laotion and came during the mid-1980s? My mother's father was a general in Laos and they were fleeing the Communists. Because my parents are two different ethnicities, we speak English primarily at home. However, my household is more Korean influenced and my mom can cook more Korean food than she can Laotion food. I am not fluent in either language and but my vocabulary is growing a bit since I am more interested in learning their languages than before.

As for goals in life, I would like to go to college of course. I will get into a college and hopefully I will be satisfied with that college. I don't particularly stress over which college, just as long as I get the education I want. For my whole life it has been planned that I was to be a doctor (thanks to my very ASIAN parents) and that plan does suit me for the most part but I will leave it up to God to see what happens and I am sure I will end up fine either way. I just want to gain knowledge and help people. I am particularly interested in social works and helping others. I do have a passion for English and history. History is one of my favorite classes and I am pretty good at it. I am interested in world events and I do read the newspaper from time to time or I look it up online, though I am disappointed that most of my peers do not care as much so I can talk to very few people about. It is funny, but my friend and I are the only two people our age that we know of who actually keep up to date about the presidential caucuses.

I thank you for actually reading this crazy random letter and hope you enjoy it. Hopefully you have gained some insight into my personality and excuse me for the grammatical mistakes. Towards the end of this letter, I started to get lazy with the commas and periods so I am sure you saw a lot of run on sentences but it just makes it reading it all the more fun. And I am going to feel really lame when I get to class and be the only student with a two page letter. (Besides Tiffany who I just talked to on AIM about this letter)

Sincerely,
Christina Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment