Sunday, January 6, 2008

Another take on 2007 films

The great city of Chicago (never been there, but so I hear) is home to many things, including a person whose opinion of music and movies I highly respect. Her name is Caitlin and we once worked together, many moons ago, in Arizona. I asked her for her favorite movies of last year and here's what she gave me:

1.) "I'd have to go with Juno. To echo Roger Ebert's sentiments, there really wasn't one misplaced scene or line or emotion in this movie. It was as close to perfect as a movie can get, in my opinion. I could watch that character for hours and not be bored."

2.) "Hmmm ... now it gets tricky ... how about Pan's Labyrinth. I think this one came out in 2006, but I didn't see it until 2007, so whatever. I thought it was very different, but very cool. Foreign films are usually shot better, don't you think?"

3.) "Knocked Up. Something about this movie just really struck a chord with me. I think the characters seemed very authentic, and I actually enjoyed the romantic-comedy aspect of it. I usually hate that shit."

4.) "I have to say that Sweeney Todd was great, but the blood was almost too much for me. Like I said, I'm a fan on the old Broadway version, which is not nearly as dark and gory. I thought the performances were superb, and the singing was decent. The actual music was effing great — way better than the original recordings, I thought. I love the music. Burton cut out a lot of songs from the Broadway version, but all my favorites made it in. I've been singing "Johanna" ever since. I'll steal yooooooou, Johannaaaaa!"

5.) "A Mighty Heart. I really liked how this one was shot in a pseudo-documentary fashion, and Angelina's performance was flawless. If that was an accurate portrayal of Marianne Pearl, which I've heard it was, than she has to be the strongest, bravest woman in the world."

No comments:

Post a Comment