Thursday, January 29, 2009

What an Ordeal ...

My long national nightmare is over. (I hope). On Monday afternoon and evening, with temperatures well below the freezing mark, it began to rain, sleet and snow. This gave over to sleet Monday night. It sleeted most of the night. By Tuesday morning we had around an inch of ice on the ground.

Then on Tuesday, it started to rain. The problem with this was that the temps were still well below freezing. So, all the rain that fell all day Tuesday and Tuesday night was freezing rain. It started building up on the trees and power lines very quickly. It wasn’t too long before it looked like this.

*Remember that you can click on the pics and see the bigger versions on my Flickr page.


IMG_9706
IMG_9716

Needless to say this resulted in power lines coming down and tree limbs snapping and coming down. Many times those limbs took power lines with them. And, more than 600 power poles came down too. Underground utilities would be a wonderful thing. Maybe they can put something as sensible and useful as that in the NEXT stimulus bill? I doubt it.

Anyhoodle here’s what it looked like by Wednesday …
IMG_9774
IMG_9763
IMG_9760
IMG_9792


On Tuesday morning the lights went out for a couple of hours. Then they came back on for a couple more hours. Then off, then on. Rinse, repeat, wipe hands on pants.

Finally Tuesday night the power went out and stayed out. It didn’t come back on until Wednesday night at around 10ish. Then after a little more than an hour the power went out again! I think that little hour or so tease made things worse, because on Thursday morning it was the coldest it had been. I was seriously starting to whine. But, a little after 10 am the lights finally came back on. They did go off just for a short period of time this afternoon, but came back on again. Now the lights are blinking every once in a while, but have stayed on. I’m one of the lucky ones though. Most of the town and practically nobody in the rest of the county have power now. And many of them won’t until next week!

Electricity is soooo awesome.



So, here’s my vlog that I put together during my long ordeal during the Great Ice Storm of 2009.


Okay, so screw the vlog. Can’t get the videos uploaded. I’ll try again some other time. It wasn’t that great anyway.


I was able to get out today and go to Wal-Mart. It was freaking pandemonium there. Nobody in town has any red meat, chicken or pork products. They also don’t have any frozen dinners or frozen veggies or anything like that. Wal-Mart did have ONE little container of chicken breast and one container of roast beef lunch meat. And some cheddar and swiss cheese packages. They did have canned goods and bread though. So, it’s soups and sandwiches this weekend! But, at least I’ll be able to heat the soup up. I hope.

Also, since there was still no power in most of the town, that meant no stop lights were working. Now, a normal person would assume that this means all intersections are 4-way stops. But, not everyone out there is normal. So, people were just blowing through the intersections from all directions. I saw four near misses just on my way to Wal-Mart. It was crazy. It’s like everybody has just lost it and they can’t deal with anything right now.

Anyway, I’m back. I think.

Here’s a couple more pics of the mess …
IMG_9808
IMG_9806
IMG_9811

And here I am all bundled up to STAY INSIDE AND FREEZE.
IMG_9798


Also, I want to wish a Happy Birthday to Tink!
And to Hope!
And Songbird!

And, it’s Rockdog’s birthday sometime soon. I don’t know exactly when cause he doesn’t have it on his Facebook page.



BTW ... Obviously I'll never be abel to catch up on everyone's blogs. I'm sooooo far behind. But, I'll do the best I can to go back and read everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment