Friday, February 15, 2008

opinions do matter.



Today in AP English 11, our teacher was cruel enough to be gone and have the substitute teacher give us one essay and two multiple choices. AUGH!! The prompt for the essay was talking about opinions in media, blogs, ordinary citizens, etc. Do these opinions matter and do these opinions foster democratic values?

I KILLED THAT SHIT! I think I did the best I've done so far (which isn't very good). But I was lucky that day because I discovered this wonderful site, Global Voices Online and it helped me a lot miraculously. This site is for bloggers to translate the words of other bloggers around the world in English. I thought it was amazing. They don't just talk about politics, they talk about EVERYTHING. It is really cool to read the opinions of a person living in Botswana (for example) or how some person in Japan feels about our 2008 Presidential candidates. I didn't even know they cared about who was our president.


Obama is hot even in Japan.

I found the site in first period (web design 2) with our free time since the play we were supposed to watch was canceled. So I started talking about how opinions do matter but my counterargument was that misinterpretations of opinion can lead to bad results. My counter was kind of weak. But I started talking about how recently Koda Kumi (japanese singer) said something in an interview :


"
The comment came on Tuesday night while Koda was hosting "All Night Nippon." The topic of her manager's marriage came up, and Koda was asked about when her manager was planning to have children. She made a seemingly light-hearted reply that "when women turn 35, their amniotic fluid goes rotten, so I'd like them to have a child by 35."


It sounds really stupid to me but the Japanese public were offended especially since the late Japanese princess had struggled to produce a heir at age 41. I wrote about that in my essay. Haha I am sure my teacher is kind of like what the heck but she is cool enough to accept it. And it is true. I think opinions really do sustain democratic values. Restricted democratic values = restricted opinions. Then for my argument I talked about the bloggers in Japan and other stuff. I made the conclusion in the last 2 minutes so it was really cheesy, something like:


"An opinion can change a thought, a mind, or a life. Opinions do matter."


The two multiple choice tests were freaking killer. My brain was dead at the end of the day. So I am doing luau for PIC (pacific islander's club) with Chrissa. It seems really cool. It was our first time going to their meeting and it was kind of weird but at the same time I felt comfortable. I only knew less than five people in there. But Mindy is one of the club officers so I felt comfortable with that. I think it will be really fun to try something new. And most of the members seems really nice and funny. It is nice to be involved with a fun activity when I am stressing about all these crazy classes.


OMG PACHIA's PROM IS TOMORROW :] lucky her.

mine is not until march 8th. a lot of time. haha. kind of.

love,
ck.

No comments:

Post a Comment