Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Baffled

My next door neighbor is applying for a job with the Utah Highway Patrol. Great guy -perfect job for him. The screening process is intense - they leave no stone unturned. An officer called me a few weeks ago asking all sorts of questions about him and his character, lifestyle, personality... I was happy to oblige. Like I said, he is a great guy.

Just now I was working when my doorbell rang. Another officer with a hundred more questions. I was asked about his temper, his level of integrity, his driving skills, if he had ever been in the military, ever been arrested, ever used controlled substances, ever been associated with a group that seeks to deny others their civil rights...

I wanted to say, "Um, yeah, the Mormon Church." But I didn't feel like getting into it. I had to just shake my head and laugh. I said no.

Associating with a group that seeks to deny others their civil rights is up there with getting arrested and doing drugs in keeping one from working in law enforcement and yet...

I have to admit, I'm a little bit speechless.

No comments:

Post a Comment