Saturday, May 3, 2008

SATS!!!

So today was my first time doing the SATS! Yes how exciting. After hearing all the horror stories from my peers who have taken SATs already, after watching all those crazy teen SATs movies, and after being scared for my life (not really), IT WAS NOT THAT BAD. Maybe I am just being cocky and stupid and I am probably going to get a really horrible score in like august but you know what, I think I did pretty okay. I cannot DISCUSS what exact questions that tripped me up (in case collegeboard finds me out and cancels my score -___-) but after taking my SATs, here are some tips that would help for future SATs takers.

tips on doing good on the SATS.
  1. go to sleep early. seriously, it is a freaking FOUR HOUR TEST and if you are not rested, you will be falling asleep. don't talk on the phone cramming with a friend until 12 am like i did. but i wasn't that tired.
  2. eat breakfast. hunger pains = HEADACHE. i went to mcdonalds before and ate a little meal. but yeah dont FILL yourself up too much because you don't want to think about going the bathroom while rushing through your test.
  3. bring water and tissues. my room was stuffy as hell and allergies everywhere, it was sick, good thing they had tissues but if they didnt, my sleeves would be all nasty and green. yeah yuck. and yeah you might get thirsty.
  4. dont stress too much. i was pretty chill about the whole test and a whole lot more confident and i did well because i was very relaxed. anxiety makes the test a whole lot harder.
  5. if time is the issue, just do all the questions you know without having to ponder for more than two minutes on. mark the ones you skipped, and go back. if you DO NOT KNOW IT AT ALL (especially on the math or the vocab on the english), just dont answer it. i had at least five or less skipped on each section. you don't have to answer all the questions but doesnt mean you cant guess. if you can eliminate, go with your gut feeling.
  6. for the essay, just think about your thesis for like a couple minutes and just WRITE. how the heck are they supposed to expect us to write a full length essay in 25 minutes? you dont have to be inspirational, just do like three or more paragprahs. and QUOTE people. specific outside evidence to support your argument = GOOOLD.
  7. for the english, look at questions first and see if you can answer any and then go read the paragraph. i actually had time to read the paragraphs but i always looked at questions first.
You don't need to spend a million bucks on an SAT class. I just saved you a million right there.

I am very thankful for my AP Lang&Comp teacher because she hella prepared me for taking multiple choices with COMPLEX passages in a time constraint. Those multiple choices for English were nothing compared to my AP class. In AP, half the time we are trying to answer multiple for passages we dont even know what the fuck are talking about. Yeah but I effed up my essay because THEY ONLY GAVE TWO PAGES to write on. I flip and I was like WTF WHERE ARE THE OTHER PAGES. I write too much. And I had like five minutes left so I kind of gave up... But it is okay. It was my first SAT so I wasn't too worried about it. I just want to see where my weaknesses and strengths are. The math wasn't as bad as I thought. But I still skipped more math questions than English for sure. I just hope I did really good on English. The time constraint was not that bad actually. I just hated how long it was and I had super bad allergies because my room was stuffy as hell. At least I had a friend in there to chill and talk with during the breaks.

I am very relieved that SATs are over (cept the SAT IIs in june for me) so now I can go full on study for APS!!!! AUGH. That shit is what scares me the most. How the heck are they supposed to judge how well we are qualified to be in a " college class " by making us answer like 75 multiple choice in less than an hour and write three ESSAYS in TWO HOURS?!!?!

Well now to get ready for Senior ball. I hope I can party all the stress out.

--christina.

No comments:

Post a Comment