Thursday, December 11, 2008

On Marriage ...

Okay, so TT was the first to ask and then Drowsey Monkey and Anndi both said that they also wanted to know: “How is it you've managed to stay single for so long?? Is there a commitment issue?”

First let me tell you that the story of my love life is not particularly interesting. In fact, there really isn’t a lot to tell. I’m not exactly the most suave dude when it comes to women.

But, the short answer the question of why I am not married is … Basically because I have pretty much NOT wanted to get married. And because there really hasn’t been anyone that was willing to marry me. So it’s worked out pretty well.

Part of it is because I’ve moved so much. I moved something like 17 times in an 18 year period. No, not 17 different cities, but it was kind of indicative of how my life was going. Nothing was all that stable. Women hate instability almost as much as prospective employers.

I also admit to having been really picky. WAY pickier than someone of my general averageness has any right to be. But, I couldn’t help it. The first rule I had was no kids. Now, when I say that I hate kids I’m not kidding. Okay, I am. But, I really just didn’t ever feel up to taking over as daddy for someone else’s kids. I in know way was judging single mothers. Hell, I was raised by a single mother! I agree that this was a pretty selfish attitude, but at least I was always honest about it. And then there is the fact that I’m pretty sure I would be a shitty father.

Although I do have to admit that now that I’m the big 4-OH, I’m finding that so many single women my age have older kids and even some have grown kids and that doesn’t bother me all that much. Besides, if anyone is looking for a “daddy” to pay for college, they aren’t looking at me! LOL

And then there is the “I’m not really where I want to be, but things will be better and more stable soon and that will be a better situation” thing. Yeah, that keeps happening too. And before you say it, YES, if I would stay in one freaking place and settle down a bit then this wouldn’t be a fucking problem. You got me on that one.

And then there’s my general lack of game when it comes to women. Don’t let my rugged good looks and boyish charm fool you. Or the fact that I have brought sexy back to the blogosphere. I have NO GAME when it comes to the babes. None. That’s why I’m going to have to have a contest where everyone comes up with a personal ad for me and I’ll pick a winner and post it sometime next year.

MOM: STOP READING

Just for the record here, I have had FOUR one night stands. But, despite my general lack of game, I have had TWO afternoon stands, ONE very late night stand, ONE mid-morning after class stand, ONE private booth at a strip club stand and ONE out back behind the dumpsters stand. Just thought I’d share. ;-)

MOM: YOU MAY RESUME READING

And then there’s the “the ones I wanted didn’t want me” thing. Okay, we’ve all been there. And admittedly there is the “I didn’t want the ones who wanted me” thing. But the second one hasn’t happened nearly as often as the first.

And I could go into a rant about how I am apparently too nice. It kind of looks to me like if I treated women like shit and was abusive and a cheater then the women would be all over me. Or at least it seems that way sometimes. But, I won’t go into that now.

So, why am I not married? As you see there are a number of reasons. Some of them are good reasons and some of them not so good. But it usually made sense to me at the time at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment