Tuesday, April 21, 2009

No Crown For You

Miss Calif.: Anti-gay marriage answer 'Cost me my crown'
MSN Entertainment


Miss California Carrie Prejean thinks her anti-same sex marriage opinion cost her the Miss USA title on Sunday.

In an interview on Monday's Billy Bush Show Prejean stated: "It did cost me my crown. I wouldn't have had it any other way. I said what I feel. I stated an opinion that was true to myself and that's all I can do."

During the show, celebrity judge Perez Hilton asked Prejean on whether she thought same-sex marriage should be legalized. Prejean replied: "In my country, and in my family, I believe that a marriage should be between a man and a woman." Prejean later lost to Miss North Carolina Kristen Dalton, who took home the crown.

"It is a very touchy subject and (Hilton) is a homosexual and I see where he was coming from and I see the audience would've wanted me to be more politically correct," she said. "But I was raised in a way that you can never compromise your beliefs and your opinions for anything."

Even though her answer stirred up some controversy, Prejean said she still felt like she won the competition.

"I feel like I'm the winner. I really do," Prejean said, mentioning that she had more than 200 friend requests and 1,000 new messages on Facebook.


A lot of people, many friends of mine included, are really pissed off at her. Being the gay rights megaphone that I am, you'd think I would want to 2X4 her. Strangely, I'm not pissed off or surprised - just more and more determined to keep pushing forward. And, you know what? I find it weirdly refreshing that she at least stood where she stood and spoke what was true for her - right in the face of a gay man and in a industry largely run, and supported by, gay men. That took serious balls. Not that I agree with her in the tiniest little bit. I do not think she stood as a beacon for righteousness and protection of the almighty and oh-so-horribly threatened family. Her truth is bigotry. But I am so tired of people talking out of one side of their mouths out of fear, and in order to be politically correct, and then turning round in private and rolling their eyes and bashing the gays. That happens way too much - here in Utah especially.

People that oppose gay rights and gay marriage are standing firm all over the place. Fine. Good for them. It is better than being two faced pussies about it. But they must also know that there are now consequences for doing so. Friends of mine, gay and straight, have chosen out of long time friendships with people that are clinging to their bigotry. I have not had to yet. People kind of know not to step on that land mine with me. And, they understand why I feel the way I feel. It used to be the case that those of us that supported gay rights would keep our mouths shut and say to ourselves, "They don't know any better, it's what they have been taught. Just let them be." No more. Prop 8 crossed the line and no one is taking it anymore.

Those individuals that discriminate against gays do not yet see that it is no different than discriminating against women, blacks, Jews... the list goes on and on. And they may never see it in this lifetime. But they do need to know, here and now, that they can no longer open their mouths, judge and condemn people, and expect to be awarded for it. There are no crowns being given out for hatred.

They will continue to praise each other and give one another big pats on the back. They will support one another in their fear and judgement and convince themselves that it is okay because they are on the Lord's errand. They are standing for truth and know that their treasure, their crown, is in heaven.

I just think they are going to be more than a little surprised when they finally leave this life and sit down for a little chat with Jesus. What did he teach, again? Oh, yeah...

No comments:

Post a Comment