Wednesday, April 7, 2010

p.s. Hey. Those of you who read this blog inside and out and intimately are already familiar with the extraordinary writing and talent of the d.l. little foal. I'm honored by the post-shaped exquisiteness he has given to the blog today, and I hope you will spend time with it and then give him some semblance of your thoughts in the comments sections. Thank you so much, l.f., and thanks to everyone for their kind attention. Oh, here's another alert for you readers in the NYC environs. It involves the terrific writer and d.l. Tony O'Neill, and I'll let him explain: 'Im doing my first ever reading from SICK CITY on Saturday April 10 actually, over in manhattan at a club called Angels and Kings alongside (author and mastermind behind The Rumpus) Stephen Elliot, Lynsey Griswold and a bunch of others... The site for the event is here, and of course I would love to see friendly faces down there - its free, so a big open invitation to the D.C. massive... they'll be giving away books, and of course booze will be flowing, and good music playing as well.' Be there if at all possible, seriously. ** Andy Pratt, It's such a great honor to have you on my humble blog. Thank you so much for posting. I treasure your appearance very much. Please come play in Paris sometime. Great respect to you. ** Alan, Yeah, Eileen had told me her novel was forthcoming, but that was the first official announcement I've seen. Very exciting! If I hadn't gotten normal sleep last night, and, phew, I did, I was definitely going to stick my fingers into your cookie jar. ** David, For my money, if you ever want to spend more time with that Andy Pratt album, you might find that, as great as 'Avenging Annie' is, it's also the most user-friendly tip of a brilliant iceberg. Strange: I tried to use the link you posted to your friend's blog, but it didn't work, sending me instead to the general yuku site. Anyway, it's nice that someone else around here actually knows all five of those 'rock gods' like I do. ** David Ehrenstein, Oh yeah, so very interested to see the Vito Russo film. I forget, were you and he friends or friendly colleagues? I think I met him once or twice, briefly but very pleasantly. ** Tonyoneill, Hey, man. Hope the alert up top does some good, and, yeah, I'm twiddling my fingers madly in anticipation of my copy of 'Sick City'. ** Chris Goode, Howdy, Chris. Yeah, I know what you mean. I can't believe Andy Pratt commented here yesterday. Crazy awesome. Oh, so you've seen the full 'Trash Humpers' movie already. Okay, yeah, I'll let you know what I think once I get my eyes onto it. I'm a pretty diehard Korine fan, but we'll see. You feeling less gluey, I hope? ** Joseph, Hey. Oh, awesome. I just read the first paragraph or so of the review, and I'll complete my reading tour later, but it looks great, man! Everyone, the particularly fine writer and d.l. Joseph (Goosey) has written a review of Susan Wheeler's new book 'Assorted Poems' over at The Rumpus, and it looks as sharp as hell, and, basically, just head on over there and read it sans too much further ado, yes? Congrats to the big R and to you! I'm okay, finally rested and sans sickness for the first time in weeks, I think. You? ** Paul Curran, Exciting news on the R-G front, totally, yeah, right? Glad you're back to the novel. Glad you got a vacation too, of course, but enough's enough. I'm back to mine again after my own vacation aka a bad cold. ** Sypha, Sure, send Ligotti one too. You should totally send copies to writers you like. People do that to me all the time, and I've discovered a bunch of fantastic writers that way. Speaking of, I'm very soon to start reading my very first Ligotti book. Very curious to see what all the fuss is about. ** Kevin Killian, Hope you landed safely in what one hears is a roasting NYC. So wish I could attend every last one of those events. I saw Bob Gluck read here last night. If he can get gigs in Paris, surely you and Dodie can, no? Aka I want you. ** Ken Baumann, Ha ha, I'm glad to hear my pancake/puke suggestion was right on the money. It's fate, man. Hope you got your pal to gobble food to the point of disgust. Weird coincidence: just last night a friend asked me if I want to go see MP's Michael Palin do a lecture. Is your link plus the fact that the main character in 'Jabberwocky' is named Dennis Cooper a sign that fate is interceding in my life yet again? Very best to you, Mr. B. ** Dan, Hey! Yeah, trippy about the Honore/ Sagat thing, no? I'm scared a bit shitless, but I'll let you know what happens, sure. And I'll write to you later today. Sorry to be so typically god damned slow. Thanks, Dan. ** Scunnard, Hey! It's going okay, I guess. You? Wait, you sound like you're doing just fine what with that traveling and all. Well, Paris will be here until further notice and only getting warmer, prettier, and more full of leaves and things, so take your time on the visit as long as you promise to take it, or ... well, you know what I mean. ** Trees, Hey, Trees. Gosh, what a very pleasant crazy week you had there. Mine was only crazy if coughing a lot and sleeping too little constitutes craziness, and I don't think it does despite what people say. Yes, yes, and triple yes, I want that post. Please, even. That would be stellar, man. Thank you. The Larry Rinder night does look fun. I'm going to a big art/ music/ video/ etc. shebang tomorrow night, but I think the music is more of the assaultive and atonal variety, which, to me, is disco city. Let's both have total blasts, what do you say? ** _Black_Acrylic, Sylvester is a great example of someone who can both technically sing to the max while, at the same time, reinventing technical proficiency into something auteurish and beyond mere skill. It does seem like you taking that editor gig is a good thing. Even relatively ignoramus me has been thinking so, and your knowing friend's advice is surely the right one. Let me know the exact results. Cool YnY party pix. I love those table shots too. Everyone, you can retroactively be at the recent Yuck n Yum launch event by merely clicking this. It's magic. Try it. ** Kier, Your love of my preferential love for Britney is why I love you too. Well, I guess there are some other reasons as well. 'Human Centipede'! I am so there. Like a film that's going to be released in the theaters? If so, a reason to continue living. Well, a reason in any case. Oh, great, about the 'Flesh World'! Yeah, I'll be your mailman, of course. I might even be your human centipede if you ask me very nicely. ** Crispin Best, Hey, Crispin. Great, then I'll put together a post about your project for next week or thereabouts. I'll try to do it/you justice as best I can. Yeah, the community around here is a bit of all right. Please do join in as thoroughly as you like. Thanks! ** Steevee, 'Ondine' ... not Warhol's Ondine, surely? Oh, I've been curious about the Ian Dury film. I think I read something pretty positive about it somewhere. Do tell. ** Justin, Huge congrats on scoring the sewing machine, J. Ah, the consequent financial and whatever else worries is probably natural, right? I mean it's as scary to embark on the fulfillment of a dream as it is exciting. Obviously, I'm really glad your cerebral palsy is a minor case that sounds like it mostly just makes you wondrously eccentric. I used to know a guy who had this total sexual fetish for boys who were restless sleepers and kicked and tossed and turned in their sleep, the more violently they erupted in their sleep, the more erotic it was for him. I'm not kidding. ** Creative Massacre, That's a totally irksome hassle re: the loan technical fuck up. I hope it's all clear and normal in a day or two. Yeah, let me know the scoop when you and your friend start getting the French plans together. Hey, do you know this former pro, openly gay wrestler Chris Konrad (I think that's his name) who killed himself a day or so ago? They said he was in the WWE, but I didn't recognize him at all. ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Yeah, weird that I'm the non-sexual character. Although, if you know what Francois Sagat looks like, you'll probably understand why I think that's all for the best, ha ha. Oh, I'm sure Bendy was just spaced out or whatever. I can't imagine why in the world he would ever snub you. He was probably seeing thick clouds instead of you. I liked your song of the day. I'd never heard of that band before, hm. And I liked that the person who uploaded the video onto youtube is named AnimalWhoHasPain. As for my song of yesterday, I was totally obsessed with a particular song about four months ago, and now, as of yesterday, Yury has gotten totally obsessed with it, and he played it over and over yesterday, so now I'm obsessed again. This song. Yeah, that Justin Taylor book is top notch, isn't it? Toni Colette is a friend of a friend of mine, but I've strangely never watched 'TUSoT'. Journal or diary or notebook or whatever it is, cool! My day: I worked on my novel some. It's in a very laborious stage of editing that's very frustrating, but so it goes. I went back and forth via email with Christophe Honore about that scene I'll be in. I eventually proposed an idea that I think is probably too elaborate and complicated, and I'm waiting to hear back from him. During my exile, I bought food and train tickets. In the evening, I walked over to this space/place called Studio de Danse that's not too far away on the Canal St. Martin and watched my friend the writer Robert Gluck do a reading. He was great. He was reading from his long in-the-works novel 'About Ted', and it was fantastic. He read with two French authors who write experimental fiction and read their work in French, so I didn't understand a thing. One of them, Marcel Cohen, is supposed to be great, and he did have a greatness vibe about him. The bad thing was that while Mr. Cohen was reading, the temporary cap on my broken tooth fell off, I think because I was chewing gum too violently. I accidentally swallowed the cap. So that sucked, but I guess I had to get it replaced with a permanent cap someday. When I got home, it was late-ish, and I did late-ish things, meaning not much, and fell asleep. Wednesday? ** Jeff, Hey, Jeff! Oh, right, you're in proximity to AWP! Seems like every other American I know is there right now. Let me pass on your links in case there are people reading this in Denver. Everyone who is in Denver either permanently or temporarily, d.l. Jeff passes along info about the upcoming AWP events involving people in and around the great HTMLGIANT, and they sound so incredibly worth being at, so check this, and then check this, which details some AWP readings recommended by the writer Bradley Sands. Thanks a lot, Jeff. If your bike gets you there, send back a report, if you don't mind. ** Math, Thanks a lot, Math. ** Misanthrope, Yeah, apples and oranges on the 'AI' and 'Eurovision' fronts. I guess, for me, if music as thoroughly mediocre and shitty as that promoted by 'AI' absolutely must exist, I prefer that it present itself as the fly-by-night kitsch it is rather than try to convince me that it means anything emotionally or otherwise. But whatever, right? Basically, I agree with what you said to _Black_Acrylic. ** Tosh, Thanks a lot, Tosh. I wish I'd gotten off my rear and attended that recent Lewis Furey concert here in Paris, darn it. ** Bollo, Thanks about 'MLT', man. Free all day: art art art, what do you say? Hey, that rhymed! Oh, Liam Gillick was in the hood? He's a nice guy. I'm here or there about most of his actual stuff, I guess. I'm off today to see the Beat Takeshi art show at the Fondation Cartier. Should be curious. ** Oscar B, Oh, I'm fine today apart from losing the temporary cap on my tooth, which is a drag but doesn't hurt so far. The reading was good. Yeah, I'm going to call you and Michael in a few minutes to see if you guys want to hit the Beat Takeshi show shortly. Oh, awesome and finally re: the visual evidence of your Palermo show. I'll look at it very shortly. For now, ahem ... Everyone, you know the divine art of the divine artist and d.l. Oscar B, but you haven't seen the latest and maybe even greatest batch of her powerful work until now. Click this to go have a look at her current gallery exhibition in Palermo, Sicily. And here's a kind of disclaimer from Oscar B. herself: 'Since the work is a narrative one, and is mainly based on writing, you can't really get the sense of it by the pictures here. But it will do to get an idea of the space and stuff. I will try and work on translating the writing in English at some stage perhaps.' Oh, I can tell you this in person, but I figure we should head off to the opening at around 7:30 pm tomorrow. ** Little foal, Ah, it's the man of the hour! Thank you so, so much, my friend. It really is such a fine and sweet honor to be able to house what you have made for us today. Sounds like it might be worth strumming your guitar in that locale to me, yeah. Just based on your description, I'm hooked on his muse-like being already. ** Okay, I'll leave you guys to little foal now and go see what I can do with Paris today. Bye until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment