Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Brendan presents ... Galerie Dennis Cooper presents ... Up and Down and Top and Bottom and Charm and Strange

----



They are the six kinds of quarks, the most elementary of elementary particles. Quarks make up mostly everything in the universe. For example, a proton isn't really a real thing, just a combination of three quarks. Quarks are also the only subatomic particles to be acted upon by all four fundamental forces of nature: electromagnetism, the strong force, the weak force and gravity. Don't ask me to explain the math, because I can't. So up and down and top and bottom and charm and strange represent everything there is; the whole world.

I was interested in making things that flow over and around and outside the normal constraints: onto the floor, into the corners, way up high, drawings that become sculptures, and lines that jump off the wall onto panels.

In keeping the with simplicity of quarks, I've taken a sort of vow of chastity, only allowing myself only a few basic materials: black tape, black string, black wire, white paint, wood. I'm also really interested in the sublime, so the Mylar. But the sublime seems like it's out of fashion in the art world. So I will keep it to myself, which seems appropriate, considering it's sublime.

Using these simple materials, I've tried to create illusionistic space outside the normal realm of painting. Also I'm interested in the possibilities of mark making without the use of traditional graphite, charcoal, ink, etc.

The show opened at Walter Maciel Gallery in Los Angeles on May 21. It will end on July 9.

I'm sorry these works aren't funny. The world is just too damn interesting to make the same art all the time.




Up and Down and Top and Bottom and Charm and Strange
Tape and Mylar on Wall
147 1/2" x 62" x 30"






A Fact Not Proven nor Demonstrated
Tape, Wire, Paint and Wood
123" x 85" x 92 1/2"






lluminated Arc
tape and mylar
98" x 122 1/2" x 33 1/2"






An Exaltation in Pure Relations
Tape, Mylar, Paint on wood panels
105" x 99" x 1 1/2"






Total Information Loss
Tape, Paint and String on wood panels
64" x 127" x 14"






An Attempt to Reverse Entropy
Tape, Paint on wood
95" x 111" x 40"






Unspeakable, Unknowable, Unthinkable, Unyielding, Unwise
Tape, Mylar, Paint on wood panels
152" x 233 1/2" x 1 1/2"











Some things, people and ideas that have inspired these works:
























----



*

p.s. Hey. So, before we move the blog's front page too far away from a celebration of the amazing visual artists who happen to spare some time to hang around here, may I, in the guise of my virtual galerie, and with the assistance of the artist himself, draw your attention to the new work and current flesh and blood LA gallery exhibition of the visual maestro and d.l. Brendan Lott. As he hinted, those of you lucky enough to be in or near LA can see the real deal between now and July 9th, and such a move on your parts is highly recommended. You can find pertinent details here. In any case, please peruse and register the evidence above and talk to Mr. Lott, if you're so inclined. Thanks. And to you, Brendan, take a big up along with my eternal gratitude. ** Kiddiepunk, Oh, gosh, thanks. Your superior pix sure didn't hurt. We should hang later. I'm crazed with meetings and an interview until the late afternoon, but then I'll call you, oui? ** Brendan, Thanks about the London show, but let's move on to yours, shall we? Gorgeous, and I so wish I could see it for real, grr. Even though I basically live in Paris, I'm still totally romantic about it. The sweet/funny thing about the Woody Allen is its romance with the classic US idea about cultural Paris and how it concentrates on the 'big names' like Stein, Hemingway, Picasso, Maxim's, et. al. The slant is so American, and it's kind of funny to see that vision of Paris when you live here and have a more thorough idea of its artistic past or whatever. Anyway, yeah, it was lovely. Enjoy Vegas, man. I'll be in LA in early August, it's looking like. ** David Ehrenstein, Thank you kindly, sir. ** Toniok, Aw, thanks a lot, Mr. T. You good? ** Pisycaca, Hi, Montse! Thanks, buddy! Oh, Roger P., no, I haven't heard a peep from him in a very long time. Yeah, I hope he's okay. Maybe by some chance he still looks at the blog and will drop in to say hello. Hint hint, Roger. Love, me. ** Oscar B, Well, who had a huge part in making the show an aesthetic and popular hit? You, you, you! I hope I'll get to see you a little later on today. ** MANCY, Hey! I'm glad you think it looks okay, and thank you so much for contributing your amazing work. I only wish you could have been there to see the people hovering attentively and excitedly around it. ** Tosh, Hey, Tosh! Thanks a lot, man. Mm, I think as a fellow Parisophile, you'll like the Woody Allen. It's really just a sweet Paris love fest shaped like a movie. Oh, God, the Sparks show. I'm killing myself that I'm missing that. I just have to hope that they'll do it here, and I imagine that isn't too big a pipe dream. Everyone, or rather you who will be in or around LA circa soon, the godlike Sparks are performing their opera 'The Seduction of Ingmar Bergman' directed by the godlike Guy Maddin at the John Anson Ford Theater on June 25th. Seriously, this is major, and I can't possibly more highly recommend that you attend if you can. Here's some more info. ** Pilgarlic, Hey. Yeah, the crowd probably would have kept me home too, if I were there. I guess there'll be a hundred youtube hints at least. ** Jheorgge, Hey, man! Thanks, pal. How are you? What's going on? ** Thomas, Hey! Wow, really nice to see you. Thanks for planning to make the trip out to see the show. What's new on your end, my friend? ** Posing at the Louvre, Jared! Dude, that piece of yours is crazy good. It slides the show into some other dimension. People literally dreamed about it afterwards. It turned attendees into worshippers, zombies, gays, and caused them to flee from it in terror. Will you get to nick the end of the show's run and see it for yourself? Man, fucking great. Thank you! ** Bernard Welt, Merci beau cul! Yes, three-ways, ... we're all waiting patiently. ** Sypha, Thanks, James! ** Killer Luka, You're back! Yeah, the London thing turned out good, no small thanks to you and yours. Such a nice NYC trip you had there. I saw pix of your show online, and it looks just amazing. Awesome about the sales. So wish I could have been there to hang out, meet Terrell and Frank's boy pal Luke, see the regular dudes, sigh. Jimi's write up is very nice, yeah. Everyone, read a smart write up on Killer Luka's NYC gallery show by first clicking this and then clicking 'Exhibitions'. Yum. ** Lagunie, Hey, welcome to here! Nice to have you. No, I don't know that book at all. Obviously, it sounds like something I need to read given that the topic is inherently fascinating and that I bought me some LSD in/from Laguna back in the day. You're recommending it, I'm guessing? Thanks about the blog and books. I don't know how I do it myself, honestly. Bad habit, ha ha. Come back anytime please. ** Alan, Thanks, Alan. No, I actually don't read 'Suicide' as a real suicide note. The general feeling among those who knew him and the people at POL is that the connection between the novel's subject and his own suicide is more coincidental than not, although no one really knows, of course. Well, as these things go, Leve is much better known, more respected and read since his death than he was before. When he was alive, he was better known as a photographer than as a writer, but that has changed dramatically. I would say he's a cult favorite here, if I had define his status. ** Steevee, Hey. Everyone, courtesy of Steevee, 'Norway to Train Diplomats in ‘True Norwegian Black Metal’. Yikes about that insurance mix-up. Rattling, indeed. Hope that gets sorted out asap. ** A.r., Thank you, Alex! I'm glad you think show looks good and that my decisions were okay ones. Thank you so much for the incredible gift of your work. Love back from me. ** Thomas Moronic, Hi. Well, yes, that brother of mine is an extreme piece of work, you are absolutely correct. I'm so proud that my camera was able to capture your deep yet elusive evil side, ha ha. ** Ken Baumann, Ken! Man, that 'ounce of cruelty' is fantastic! So nice to see Math's work there, of course, Yeah, great! I'll definitely ... Everyone, the multi-mega-talent and d.l. Ken Baumann has started an online project that is not only wonderful to peruse but offers a really great opportunity to those of you who are artistically inclined, so I urge you strongly to read Ken's words and follow up. Here he is: 'So I've been excited to share this with you and the dl's for awhile: ounce of cruelty. Basically: I'm collecting media that renders Mark Leidner's aphorisms from the angel in the dream of our hangover. The sublime Math has already given me a couple of rad pieces that I just added to the site. We'll keep adding contributions, and then eventually I'll publish everything in a very swanky limited edition package/ collection. Open to contributions of all sorts: photos, painting/ drawing/ sculpture, music, video. I'd especially like contributions from The Weaklings crew! I'll swap a copy of Mark's book for a soft promise for some work.' Dudes, do get in on this, if you can and feel like it. Amazing, Ken! ** Schoolboyerrors, Thanks, D. Yeah, back in Paris, safe and kind of sound. And you vis-a-vis Brighton? ** Paul Curran, Thanks, Paul. Yeah, now that I'm back on the curating tip, and given there's the wealth of amazing artists around here, I hope I get the chance to do more. ** Schlix, Hi, Uli. You coming to Paris? Wow. Yeah, of course, I want to meet up. My horribly busy period pretty much eases up come Friday, so I'll be pretty free and game to meet according to your schedule. Do I have your email? I think I do. If so, I'll send you my cell number today. Great! It'll be so good to get to meet you! What a lucky break! ** _Black_Acrylic, Thanks a lot, Ben. Awesome about the new frames. Take a pic so we can revel in your newness, yes? ** Puella aeterna, Hi, Caroline! It was so very nice to get to meet you! I hope next time we can hang out when not in the midst of opening madness, not that the madness wasn't big fun. Yeah, wonderful, and thank you so much for being there. Take care, and more soon, I hope! ** Bill, Hey. I'm glad you think it looks okay. Yeah, it turned out pretty great, I think, big thanks to you and yours, needless to say. Where are you off to next? ** Chris Cochrane, Thanks, Chris. Oh, yeah, sure, that's fine about having the text published under his publishing company. I don't have any publishing company type of thing, I don't think. So, that's just fine, of course. No new news from Serge. There's another meeting with him today. I'll let you know if there are any updates. ** Chilly Jay Chill, Hi, Jeff. Charming is the word. Broad, yeah, but somehow I liked that about it. I like Stein's work, of course, although I don't think I've read anything of hers in, hm, going on decades now, I don't know why. I should dip back in. Yeah, she's great. The work didn't change my world like it does for some people, but it's super impressive, duh. Man, that is very, very good if still tentative news on the health front to say the least. That was scary. I really hope the antibiotics take care of it. How long until you'll know? Should it start shrinking or disappearing or whatever fairly soon after starting the treatment? ** Michael Cameron, Thank you very kindly, Mr. Cameron! ** Esther Planas, Esther! Oh, thank you, thank you for everything. Your amazing work, your divine presence, your incredible hospitality, ... you name it! It was so much fun! I miss you too. Keep thinking, 'Paris ... Paris ... '. Tons of love to you! ** David, Ha ha, yes, thank you! That would be nice. 'Belle du Jour' will do, yes. Pierre! ** Frank Jaffe, Hi, Frank! Yeah, it sounds like you guys had such a blast. We had a pretty good blast in London. It's nice that the art-centrered blasts were going off at kind of the same time. I got to finally see Courtney's work in the real world too courtesy of 'The Weaklings', and I agree it really blooms. Lovely to see you, Mr. Jaffe, as ever. ** Colin, Hi, Colin. Awesome that you're going to be in London. 'Maintenant Slovakia': interesting. What is that event exactly? Great if you can catch the show while you're there, of course. Let me know when your 'Suicide' review is up. That is interesting timing. Great, I'll make sure to be as freed up as possible on the 27th an 28th, and of course the reading is for sure. I don't know Carr's Pub, but it's near Tuileries, which is very easy and a great locale. Can't wait for that and to see you! ** CyCyLoLo, Hello, my dear friends! How is life down south? Thank you so very kindly about the show. I wish you could have been there too. You guys coming up to Paris with free time anytime soon? ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey. I'm really glad you think the show looked good. Thanks! New Mustangs are still cool. I think maybe the relatively sane three fourths of the Cooper kids will do something for and about my dad when we're all gathered in LA next time, although fuck knows when that will be since I'm usually here and my non-crazy brother lives in Brazil. God, charley horses, ugh. I can't figure why they happen when they do. It never seems to have any logic. I get them when I've walked a lot all day and when I've just sat around and no matter what I eat or drink. Weird stuff. As is the name 'charley horse'. I wonder where that came from? I'm glad the potentially awkward friend combo worked out okay. And I guess you're fine with your friend staying for a week? Wow. My day report won't be much either 'cos I just looked at the clock and I have to be at a meeting sooner than I wish. Anyway, the afternoon was spent rehearsing the English language version of 'Last Spring, a Prequel' with Gisele and Jonathan C. because we have to record it on Thursday. It didn't go so well because Jonathan was tired and in a bad mood and then this boat pulled up to the side of the canal -- the place where we rehearse is on Canal St. Martin -- and a band set up on top and started playing 60s-ish pop rock songs loudly enough that we could barely hear ourselves. We tried though, but we eventually gave up, and the rehearsal tomorrow will have to be much longer than planned, I guess. Ugh. Then I came back here after buying food and cigarettes. It started raining. I got wet because it didn't look or feel like it was going to rain, so I didn't bring my umbrella. Oh, well. I have to talk to my agent about something important, so I called him, but he didn't answer, and then I got a text saying he was too busy to talk. I was going to see my visiting friends Casey, Robin, and their kiddo, but they and I were both pooped out, so I'll see them today after I get done with a bunch of things I have to do: big meeting at the Pompidou, being interviewed, talking to my agent (I hope), etc. I guess I did some blog stuff and email and that's about it, I think. Crappy day report, sorry. Maybe all the stuff I need to do today will pay off in reportable dividends. How was your Tuesday? ** Bollo, Just call me Mr. Sneak. Oh, paintings. I always liked his videos a whole lot more than his paintings. Good luck with the application, man, and big love to you, J. ** Misanthrope, High heat sucks. It just does. East Coast style especially. West Coast heat is normally not as bad. Drier. But it has all that pollen in it. So, it sucks too. I'm sorry to hear about Little Show's ear, but kids are so resilient and all that, and, hey, WWE, DC, Sunday, PPV, ... worth it. I think? Good about your incoming $$ work. Novel work, moreso. Being back here, priceless. ** Marc Vallée, Hey, Marc! Oh, it's cool, man. It would have been great to see you, of course. All the best. ** Slatted Light, Hi, D. Let's do Friday just post p.s. 'cos I started this p.s. too late today and now I have to rush to this meeting thing. So, Friday, we're on! The two guys in that photo are (left) the writer/musician Dom Lyne, and (right) Lee, writer on art and many other intelligent things. ** Okay, I have to zoom. Enjoy Brendan's show and talk to him and to each other, and I will see you in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment