Friday, June 24, 2011

Galerie Dennis Cooper presents ... Florian-Ayala Fauna

----



Florian-Ayala Fauna is a newly 20 year-old visual artist and composer/ musician based in Indio, California. I first came across his art and sound projects in the occasionally enlightening confines of Facebook a few weeks ago. I think his work is remarkable -- rich and devoted and fulfilled by gifts both fully evident and mysterious with promises that I can feel more than locate. I wanted to give my imaginary gallery over to his art out of admiration and because I sense that you who read and distinguish this blog with your comments might also find his work interesting. I'm hoping that, if you're impressed with the display today, you will show your support and share your thoughts in the comments arena since, in addition to being a young and relatively new artist, he is making his unusual and distinctive art/music very much on his own with limited resources in a city where artistic comrades and people who recognize and validate his talent are extremely few and far between. Thank you for your time and consideration in advance. -- DC

Florian-Ayala Fauna is currently a student on leave from College of the Desert in Palm Desert, CA. In addition to his own projects, he has collaborated on music with Stephen Thrower (Coil, Cyclobe), Charlie Martineau (Esperik Glare), and others. His sound and visual work have been featured at Beam Festival (UK) and Currents Event 2011 @ Digital Dome in Santa Fe, New Mexico.




Further

Florian-Ayala Fauna's Website
Ø
F-AF's uncertain resource @ bandcamp
F-AF's uncertain page @ Facebook
F-AF @ Discogs
F-AF's video channel @ Vimeo




Statement

Fragility, purity, and corruption are subjects that I explore in my work.

Working in a wide range of mediums and practices, my artwork aims to reflect the innermost qualities of the human mind and soul, where one is most vulnerable and weak yet pure in essence. The unknown, the unspeakable, and the unnatural are all dealt with in my pieces. The dichotomies we experience throughout life are focused upon in my body of work, exploring both the separation and the unity of both extremes. The sacred and the profane, the pure and the corrupted, and so on are all elements to my work which continue to be explored in a variety of different ways.

Haunted by the past, lost in the present, and uncertain about the future, I attempt to reflect my own personal turmoil through my work as well as the underlying despair and anguish I see in the world around me. I intend to bring attention to the unspoken, the disintegrating, and the forgotten.

My exploration of themes dealing with nature and wildlife is a personal means of communicating with the other, a pure form of life which has seen everything and nothing at once and has experienced changes no human has yet to encounter. The animal represents a form of life that can be both beautiful and savage, yet still remain unblemished by the inherit agony of being human. -- Florian-Ayala Fauna




Painting, photograph, collage


from the 'fox' series



fox 21062011
watercolor on paper






fox 17.6.2011 ii
watercolor on paper





fox 1762011
watercolor on paper






fox 15.6.2011 [original]
photograph






fox 15.6.2011
photograph w/ water






fox 14.6.2011
painting, 2011




Others



untitled
collage, 2011






untitled
collage and ink, 2011





survivor’s guilt
acrylic and ink, 2010
the word ‘why’ written countless times






untitled
photograph and fire, 2010-2011





untitled
photograph, 2009






untitled
photograph, 2009






untitled
collage, 2011




your hands were small then
collage, 2009





Music


uncertain grief: silence in five movements




Hear or download parts iii, iv, v



uncertain seahorse (abyssopelagic)




Hear or download tracks 3 - 11




Video



seedling


invocation of the black jackal


grief i


falling into a dream (alone)


video for the piece 'Invocation' by in serpents and seas (charlie martineau, florian-ayala fauna with e.s. toltecatl)
----




*

p.s. Hey. I introduced the post to you up above, so ... Oh, speaking of excellent art, this weekend is your last chance to see 'The Weaklings' show at Five Years in London if you're in that vicinity. Please do, if you can. ** Wednesday ** 'Stoopid Slapped Puppies', Nick! Love your new pieces! So great to have new work from you wending into my consciousness again. Thanks for the tip on the site, I'll check it. Have you read Ben Brooks' new novel? I paged through a friend's copy briefly, and, wow, it's really different than his earlier work. ** Bill, My feet are my secret weapon. I know Gay Beast by name, but ... hm, I'm not sure I've actually heard or even overheard them. To their site I will go a little later, thank you! ** David Ehrenstein, Ah, of course you know the scoop on that lost/found 'Fassbinder'. Sounds very, very curious. ** Paul Curran, Yeah, how about that? And you, your novel, ... ? What's the naked truth? ** Nick, Hey. Excellent. Give me news when that's ready. Prison Tatt Records looks cool. It's new to me. I'll scour its canon and intake sections shortly. Yeah, thanks, man! ** MANCY, Friday ... That's today! Are you gone already? If not, fun and safe everything. You've joined the enlightened ones, i.e. us vegetarians? Fuck yeah. Don't give into early stage temptations. It's worth the wait. Anyway, I await your transmissions with mouth ajar. ** Bacteriaburger, Hey, Natty! So good to see you! Thanks! Hey, what's the latest on your book and, well, any/everything else in the 'hood of your life? ** Alan, Howdy. I haven't seen/gotten/read Ashbery's Rimbaud yet. Knowing for sure that it will show up at Shakespeare & Co., I'm waiting to buy it there and support their cause. Have you read it yet? ** Bernard Welt, I was going to say. ** Brendan, That's not what I hear. ** Shannon, Hey, Shannon! Awesome! And so happy to have decrankied you. Well, I guess the daring d.l.s get all the credit apart from the tiny credit that goes to my naked feet. Fantastic that your book is almost done! Great, great! What then? What are your plans re: the completed mss.? Ooh, and let me know when the d.l./slave post is downloadable, very naturally. You're on fire, even if it feels like exhaustion. Yay! Wonderful to see you, my friend! ** Sypha, Poor old CDs, it's sad. But making way for books is a noble death. ** Polter, Hey, P! Welcome back big time! I like that dream you had. I mean, who wouldn't? Not to mention the magic touch of that Mario bomb party thing which made the dream burst into color even in my dreamless mind. Sounds like you won. I learned how to swing dance when I was a young teen and was forced by my parents to go to one of the now-dead, once popular glorified day care center-like things called 'cotillions' where parents would send their kids to learn how to dance properly, meaning in ways that they had danced when they were young. But, of course, I lost the swing about a month after I talked them out of making me go to that stupid place. Don't feel bad, gosh. Oh, you should see Guided by Voices both because they're the greatest band in the history of the world and because I can't fly up there to see them play, although I did look into it and did try and fail and then start feeling really sad that I can't go. I'm pretty good. Are you pretty good? I think so. Love to you! ** Steevee, Hey. I envy you getting to see Iceage live. I'm watching for their next Paris dates. The live videos of them are electrifying. ** Postitbreakup, Hey. Thanks. Yeah, I might do a day where I do a post of the rendered architectural model we're making for the maze piece and the mazey Pompidou installation, I've been thinking about it. Nice dick poem. Dick poems aren't easy to write. I've tried. ** Nb, Hey. Most evenings work for me. I pretty rarely do things in the evenings for whatever reason. I'm usually here doing some kind of semi-productive diddlysquat after 6 pm or so. So, you tell me. Sometime this weekend maybe? Or ... ? ** Misanthrope, Well, the blog did get Biebz, yes. Good point. Excuse my greediness. Do what feels right in your heart. 'CSI' does nothing for me either, although if you line it up with the other popular French dubbed TV shows -- 'Bones', let's say -- it starts to look like 'Citizen Kane'. ** David, Oh, man, what a night you had. Glad you've lived to tell the tale, typos and all. Anyway, how great that you're going to restart 'I Love a Genre'! I'll pass along your alert with corrected typos: Everyone, d.l. David is restarting his project/site 'I Love a Genre' imminently, and he's looking for stuff, but I should let him tell you. Here he is: 'Attention Flit, Nick Brook, Sypha, misanthrope. shane levene, postitbreakup -- I want to relaunch 'i love a genre' in September. I'm looking for genre fiction, memoir/essays, writing about contemporary culture and behavior. find me at mrcbuch@yahoo.com'. ** _Black_Acrylic, Sir! Bookshelves SPD ... hm, I don't think we've done that before, have we? I think we did a 'at home' SPD or something. Anyway, that's an idea. Yeah, the weather here has been crazy lately. It changes completely every couple of hours. Wish I could be at the launch, natch. Everyone, this blog's fave-ass zine Yuck 'n' Yum is having its 2011 launch event tonight, 7 pm, and if you're Edinburgh, click this, get the relevant info, and be there. ** Thursday ** 'Stoopid Slapped Puppies', Two Nick visits in one day, cool! Thanks about the post and all that. Wow, your list makes my list fetish side a whole lot more perky than Sorrentino's did. Should I answer it? Am I embarrassing myself by wanting to accept the challenge? Oh, gosh, what to do, what to do ... Okay, fuck it. (1.) The first option and painfully. (2.) Not his movies. (3.) That's easy. Yesterday, 3:48 pm. (4.) Probably not. (5.) Oh crap, don't know. (6.) Never. Wait, does it count if the person who caused the injury also rode around on skateboards sometimes? If so, the index finger on my right hand. (7.) That makes sense, yeah. (8.) Depends. (9.) If an inheritance counts, yes. (10.) No. Because you d.l. guys would be sad for a short time. (11.) Very, very. That was fun. So, how asshole-ish am I? You can tell me the truth. I'm a big boy. I do look out the window a fair amount. There's a park out my window and people are always in it and people are watchable, as are birds and trees. Do you? I bet anything that you do. ** David Ehrenstein, Thank you kindly, great sir! ** Thomas Moronic, Hi, T. I actually found and read your Transductions thing last evening thanks to a helpful FB wall post. It's awesome! David should change the name of that site into Thomasductions. Everyone, may I have you attention. Mr. Thomas Moronic, scribe and much more including d.l., has interviewed artist and much more including d.l. Oscar B about her recent and already highly collectible zine 'Theme of Sadness' over on Transductions, and it's a fine talk they had, and you simply must read it. Plus, if you're one of the lucky owners of 'Theme of Sadness', its major secret is revealed within that interview at last! ** Patrick deWitt, Well, thank you very kindly, man. How the heck are you? Give me a hint. ** David, Hello again. Wait, that's a different email address this time. Hm. Okay, let's just do the whole shebang again to be safe. Everyone, it's me and d.l. David again, take 2. Here is he: 'Last summer's non-event iloveagenre.blogspot.com will rear its shaggy head in late September. Visual art, photographs, drawings , caricatures and so forth will also be welcomed. Anyone who's interested in genre fiction, film and nonfiction and wants to share examples, contact me at buchcond7@gmail.com.' ** Hyrule Dungeon, Hey, man! I like Neurosis, sure. I don't have nearly enough of them on hand. Your love will cause me to rectify this situation and beef up my rather paltry Neurosis collection today. Thanks! ** Chilly Jay Chill, Hi, Jeff. Yeah, I guess I would say either start with 'Imaginative Qualities' or with his 'big book', i.e. his most known/ respected novel 'Mulligan Stew'. I think you're right about the effect of his editing on Selby. I've never read Edward Dahlberg. He's one of those writers I've always intended to investigate and never have. If you try him, give me the scoop, and if I try him first, I'll do the same. ** Steevee, Weird that 'Battle Royale' is only now getting a release. Is there some reason why now has been chosen as the launch date? I guess it's true that the time I saw it was at the Cinematheque in LA. Great about the article! Fingers crossed. Let me know. ** Dr. Dusty Dee, Hi, man. Well, yeah, it seems like being a so-called 'businessman' would be much less harmful to your art than being a professor at some university would, although I guess there are probably all kinds of examples of really good artists who teach. Your project sounds so incredibly intriguing and exciting, man, even in brief description. Consider me rapt. ** Postitbreakup, Hey. Well, yeah, I'm glad that at least part of 'ToL' worked its magic on you. That's cool. ** Bollo, Hi, J. That doesn't sound like not much, man. That sounds pretty forward. Very cool about the Cork show. Maybe it will pry out Alex Rose, and you guys can do the Weaklings secret handshake. Thanks a lot for the video tour. Wow, your girlfriend's work is really, really good! Beautiful show. The drawings are terrific, and I love the sculptures especially. Give her my great respects. Everyone, the artist Magnhild Opdøl, who happens to be the girlfriend of the artist and d.l. Bollo aka Jonathan Mayhew, has a show up in Ireland at the moment, and Bollo has provided a link to a short video tour of the show, and the work is really wonderful, and I highly recommend that you check it out. Very nice! There are still Tower Records in existence? That's trippy in and of itself, not to mention that one of the remaining outlets has Sotos' 'Proxy' in stock. Dude, thanks! ** Schlix, Uli! You tried to get in contact with me when you here? Weird, I didn't get anything. Did you send a phone text maybe? I don't know if it's a problem of my phone or of the French phone system or what, but a lot of times I never get text messages from friends from other countries when they send texts to me while here in France. It's really strange. Anyway, shit, I'm so sorry I didn't get to see you, but I'm glad you had a nice time. Yeah, the Kapoor piece ... impressive, right? Man, I hope you feel a whole lot better immediately. All the very best! ** _Black_Acrylic, Wait, those are the same comments I responded to above. Trippy. Anyway, hey Ben, and here's a second set of hugs. ** Okay, we're caught up now. It would be awesome if you guys like the work today and put in a good word to the artist, if you feel like it. I have a rare day ahead with no meetings scheduled, so I'm going to do ... I don't know what. Live a little somehow. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment