Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Dreadful Flying Glove presents ... Doors

----


1. The exact meaning of this expression has proved an irreconcilable point of contention. Iridoviruses are scary.





2. Here I lost my virginity to someone who had worked at London Zoo before he became a traffic warden. Somewhere in between the second drink and getting into his car I realised that he was, in actual fact, an ex lion tamer.





3. They only affect invertebrates, so they don't really terrify me directly. Poets have always lingered over accidents, chance occurrences, whims, and hunches.





4. Moments that appear to break the pattern of events. Easy to forget, after or during a big overarching trauma, what it meant to be a living person in one of those moments. One can set aside images that assist one to remember.





5. Detective Hauser is sitting up late, combing the personals for treason. But, they turn affected invertebrates bright blue, right. He has trained himself to recognise enemies of the state by their loneliness.





6. Their randomness deprives them of meaning, yet their singularity fills them with heightened significance and even ominousness. Loneliness is the blood spoor of conscience.





7. For some. It does this, right, because in advanced stages of infection there's so much virus in the cells of the host that it actually crystallizes and starts refracting light.



--

photo credits:

1. tanakawho

2. grantmac

3. abbyladybug

4. dryodora

5. neilsingapore

6. stevefaeembra

7. hamed
----



*

p.s. Hey. The ever exquisite sensibility of the upstanding d.l. The Dreadful Flying Glove is responsible for your pleasure today, and in what better hands ... etc. Steep within its postly wonders, speak to him, and thank you TDFG (especially) and all of you for your generosity. It's cleaning/ exile day on my end, and I have two days' worth of comments to address, so I imagine I'll be quite cramped and hurried as I proceed, and my apologies for that. ** Monday ** Plexus, Hi, Gabe. Oh, my buddy Joel's leaving was sad, yeah, but I think he'll be back. He got the Paris bug. I made sure of it. No, I've been going through the veritable living hell with my novel, that's all. There were a few days there when I came very close to giving up on it, and that's what was murdering me, but today I'm back to forging ahead, for better or worse, and time will tell. Oh, yeah, I know that parental agreement thing. I had the exact same thing with mine, and, when I turned 18, I took advantage and refused to see my father for years after that, but then I eventually got over it or something. Your dad does sound, uh, difficult, yes. I guess just do your best acting job while you're there? When do you go? $65. Not bad. Your boss sounds, uh, complicated. Anyway, you hang in there through all that stuff just like I'm hanging in here through all this stuff, okay? ** Oscar B, Have you had your opening yet? I think so, right? How was it, if I'm right? All's fine here, I think. Seems so. A bit chilly, of all things. Anyway, you're back tomorrow, right? So, can 'Piranha 3D' be far behind? No. ** Misanthrope, How was it with the cardiologist and your mom? 'Weeds', that's a TV show, right? Dunce cap. ** Pilgarlic, Hey, P. Nice report there. I really enjoyed that. I think The Mine Shaft was playing Wagner one of the times I was there. I thought that was sort of witty. Thank God TMS was pre-Enigma. The sex club in LA (Basic Plumbing) that I used to go to on the rare occasions when I was in the mood to skulk around in an atmosphere of darkened sexiness used to play Joy Division non-stop. That worked. ** Empty Frame, I will watch for that exhibit, you can fucking bet. Thanks a lot for the alert. Things winding down or up or both well enough for you as a Berliner, I hope? ** Sypha, Hey, James. Awesome if you can get both a post and novel out of the material. Maybe doing the post will siphon out some of literalness and leave the idea purely imaginative. I know when I've done scrapbooks for my novels, that's part of how they work. Straining out the sources, I mean. Maybe building a post could work like that too. ** 'Stoopid Slapped Puppies', Hey, Nick. Oh shit, you've got the back thing now? Mine's semi-okay the way it usually is. I think walking a ton more than usual was my cure. Try that? ** Bernard Welt, Well, yeah, I would so love, cherish, and gracefully regurgitate any said stuff you cared to send me, I promise. No, I don't know 'Dead of Night' at all unless I'm blanking. I've been meaning to google it, and I will. Thanks a lot, B. How was/is Colby? ** David Ehrenstein, Oh, yes, I did check my mail, and thank you so much! I'll write to with a launch date in the next day or two. Great stuff on Resnais, of course, and thank you a lot for sharing your wisdom. ** Syreearmwellion, Hey, man. Great to see you, of course. I kind of really love the sound/ description of your open mic piece. No video of said performance by chance? I don't know, but it sounds like what you're up to in that live/mic form is very interesting. So, knowing what I do, I encourage you. Novel's in very bad phase, yeah. I hope it's a phase. It feels more ominous than a phase. But for today at least, I'm pretending it's a phase. ** Will Decker, Hey. Oh, ha ha, I meant a file folder on my computer's desk top. I used to keep images in actual folders way back when. Kind of inspired by Joseph Cornell's great file folder pieces. Now, all the images I find/ use are online, and there they stay. Big thumbs up from me on Alain Resnais. Especially 'Providence', which one of my five or eight all-time favorite films. ** Im not an asbo im your next Prime minister, Hey. Welcome back to here, man. Summer could be a week along, and I would be a happy person. Don't like hot weather. I'm glad the French summer is over. Very glad. Yeah, I had fun with my visiting pal. So, uni is imminent for you? Like, wow, it must start any second. Uni's over here started like a week ago, I think, and my nephew starts uni right about now, I think. Like today. You're angling for a career in politics? Like Governor You, you mean? ** JW Veldhoen, I love that feeling of 'I can not wait'. Well, except when I'm the one responsible for making the awaited thing happen. Then I hate that feeling. Weird. ** Steevee, Hey, Yeah, I got your email with the addresses. Thank you so much, my friend! ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey! Loveliness to see you, sir! Well, I appreciate even your quick day report. I have to be quick too 'cos of, you know, the cleaners, blah blah. So, we're even. Anyway, I'll just do yesterday 'cos there's been too much happening lately, and it's all a blur. So, let's see, woke up at 7 am, coffee, shower, cookie, met up with my friend Joel, guided him to Gare du Nord then onto the RER train to CDG, then from the train to the Air France counter where he checked in for his flight, then to the security/ passport control place where we said our fond goodbyes, whereupon a RER train lead me back to Paris and my pad. I then tried to work on my novel, and I was quickly overwhelmed with hopelessness and despair at the distinct possibility that my novel is a complete fiasco and failure on which I've wasted almost two years of my life, so I stopped working on it, and stared into space miserably for a while. Gisele called and suggested we meet up, and I said sure, and we had a coffee at the Gare de l'Est, and that was good for many reasons, one being that she sympathized with my novel hell and reminded me that 'TIHYWD' seemed like a disaster for a while late in the game too, and that's true, and I think that made me decide to keep working at the novel and try to hope. We also talked about our new installation/ maze/ theater piece, which we need to get seriously working on very soon since it premieres next March, and other stuff. Oh, and it looks basically certain that 'Jerk' will be performed in my beloved hometown LA at last next year, and it looks pretty good that 'TIHYWD' and 'Kindertotenlieder' will be performed in NYC next year too. So, we hung out and talked about that and other stuff for a while. Then I came home, ate, worked on some blog stuff, hung out with Yury, talked to my sister -- my dad's not doing very well, ugh -- and slowly pooped out into sleepy person who then pooped out into a sleeping person. How was your Wednesday, man? ** Eli Jurgen, So, let me read back your order to you. You'd like Chrissssssssss with a side of weed, is that correct? I'll see what I can do. Yeah, very nice house, and old to boot. And I'm glad you agree with me about the superiority of the wooden floors. That's also a load off my conscience. Oh, hm, I don't know that 'Josh and S.A.A.' film after all, although my guess was kind of weirdly vaguely close. It does sound intense. ** Tuesday ** Allesfliesst, Hey. Oh, they have that special night here too. Frequently, I think, even. Yours sounds more deliberately meaningful or something. I can't remember what they call ours. The last time, the legendary strip club Crazy Horse did their stylized strip show kind of thing at the Palais de Tokyo. And the PdT also turned part of itself into a kind of spooky house that you had to explore with flashlights. It was actually pretty trippy and fun, especially re: the endlessly disappointing PdT. ** David Ehrenstein, Ah, you've met Leos Carax! Very cool. I'd like to meet him sometime. I wonder if Christophe (Honore) knows him. He seems to fall madly in love a lot. I mentioned in the post that he was madly in love with Carla Bruni. In fact, he wrote her some wild love letter that she turned into the lyrics of a song on her last album. Say what one wants about the current state of French culture, but they're still turning out amazing filmmakers: Carax, Honore, Noe, Ozon, Grandieux, Dumont, etc., etc. Thanks for the Litcrawl link. Looks like it was great, and my buddy and LHotB author and the wonderful writer James Greer was in there! ** Tosh, Hey, Tosh! Yeah, amazing Scott Walker soundtrack. That scene in the SW documentary where they're filming that scene/music performance is so exciting. You good, sir? ** Dan Callahan, My great pleasure, man. Carax has been developing/ working on a film called 'Scars' ever since he completed 'Pola X'. I think Isabelle Huppert is in it. I'm not sure where he is in the process. I think I read that he has filmed some of it and is raising completion funds via that footage like he did with 'Pola X'. I'll try to find out more specifics, if I can. I haven't read that James Salter novel. You make it sound pretty much like a must. I'll see if I can find it. Thanks a lot for passing that along. How are you? What are you up to? ** Davidc, Hi, David! How are you? What's going on? How have you been? It's very, very nice to see you! ** Steevee, See my comment to Dan Callahan for what I know about what Carax is up to. My understanding is that the fact that people have liked 'Merde' so much has helped a lot on the funding front, but, like I said to Dan, I'll see if I can find out more. ** Will Decker, Hey, Will. ** Chris Cochrane, Hey. How was your weekend away? I'll check my email as soon as I'm done here. That desire to have me in the piece is totally news to me. I thought we were talking about some new young lad doing my part. Hm, I don't know, time-wise and budget-wise. I guess we'll have to discuss that. Anyway, I'll check Ben's email, and we can go from there. Thanks, Chris! Are we finally going to have that cancelled meeting? ** Hectocotylus, Hey, there. Welcome, and thank you for being here. It is Marker-esque plus sort of theatrics, ha ha. You have a seriously very fine blog, sir. It was very trippy too to open it and see that piece by my old friend DJ Carlile there. Anyway, let me ... Everyone, Hectocotylus, who entered here yesterday, has a quite amazing blog called The Tarpeian Rock, and among its more recent splendors are a really great post about Rimbaud, a great sequence of quotes, some prose, and other really excellent things. I urge you to click that link and explore it for yourself if you're not already one of his blog's readers. Thanks very much, man. Do come back any time. ** Alan, While my status as Capricorn would seem to typecast me for the goat role, I can assure you that is a sight you will never see with your own eyes. ** Paradigm, Hi, Scott. Glad the Carax post was of interest. Thanks much for the link to your review. I'll read it once the cleaning crew allows me to return my hearthy internet and home. Everyone, the very fine writer, editor, thinker, d.l., and person Paradigm has written a no doubt fascinating review of a book called 'Singing the Coast' that, in P's words, 'explores the difficulty of language translation and of recording an oral culture in a written text. It looks at the gaps that this creates, gaps that are filled with each telling and retelling of stories of place.' Highly recommended. Go here. Thanks too for the info on the election. Well, that sounds promising at the very least. I'll check what news I can find come the weekend, assuming the independents announce their intentions by then. ** JW Veldhoen, I like translucent. Well, yeah. As a literary guy at least. Blog translucence is good too. Maybe better in my posts than in my comments? I don't know. ** L@rstonovich, What a great word sloshy is. And a sloshy week, such a curious image. A weeklong sloshiness. A week of sloshy. Anyway, blah blah, it sounds like a magical week, I guess is what I'm saying, man. Hey, my nephew is practically neighbors with you now, assuming Lewis & Clark is 'in the hood'. Best to you too, big L. ** I beat the cleaning crew this week, cool. Give everything you've got to TDFG's doors until further notice. I'll be back around here tomorrow. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment