Monday, September 27, 2010

R.I.P. Beauregard ...

First a little Walmart story…

I came walking around the corner of the chip isle planning on grabbing a bag of Great Value Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips.  Standing right in front of where they normally are was an older lady.

Lady: “Yooooo lookin’ for Nah-cho cheese chips hun?”

Me: “Yep.” While thinking to myself “I think I can take her.”

Lady: “Well, there’s only one. You take it.”

Me: “Oh no, you go right ahead.”

Lady: “No, I don’t need ‘em anyway hun.”

Me: “Well, neither do I. I’ll ju … oh here’s some more down on the bottom shelf in the back.”

Lady: “Oh goody!  I’ll take this bag then hun. I’m glad I didn’t hafta fight ya for it. I’m gettin’ too old for that.”


--


So, I need to say goodbye to a good friend today.  Beauregard the Bumble Bee died late last week.   Beau was a good bee.  He took up residence in a hole in the wall of my patio a couple of years ago and every time I would leave he would be right there, buzzing around and loving life. 

The first time I met Beau, he came buzzing right towards me.  Naturally I thought he was attacking, but he wasn’t.  He was just coming over to say “Hola!”  From that day on, whenever I would be leaving or coming home Beau would buzz right up next to me and just hang out there for a second and then go on about my business.  Such a friendly bee!

One day, as I was walking down the sidewalk I started sneezing.  I probably sneezed five or six times and here cam Beau.  Flying out of the bushes where he was busy doing his bee thing.  He came up to check on me and make sure I was okay.  I told him it was just my allergies.  He was like “Oh, uh, allergies. Yeah, sorry about that dude.”  But, I told him it was okay, I understood he had a job to do.

Anyway, as I was leaving on Friday I found Beau lying on the patio motionless.  Poor, poor Beau.  He had died sometime during the night I guess.  I felt bad for him.  Just lying there dead on the concrete all alone like that.  And I guess my taking the toe of my shoe and flipping him off into the grass wasn’t the most dignified way for him to go either.  And it was especially sad to see that bird swoop in and snag is carcass and fly off with him to have him for dinner. 

But, you know there’s that whole cycle of life thing too. Maybe this is the way Beau would have wanted it.  The way God intended it to be. 

Anyway, R.I.P. Beauregard the Bumble Bee. 


--


Also, in case you missed it, yesterday was probably out best episode of “I’m With Stupid” yet.  You can listen to it anytime you want in archives or download the show from the main page.  Or just by scrolling down to the post below this one and playing it from here.  (The player will also pop out so you can minimize it and go on about your important business.) 

Or, thanks to Matt-Man, you can check out the show’s brand new website RIGHT HERE! How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment