----
----
2007
* How to Build a Fog Machine
* Galerie Dennis Cooper presents ... The best Halloween pumpkins ever!
* Somebody buy me these animated props right fucking now!
* Cody, Joel, Jeff, and I visit Universal Studios' Halloween Haunt
* Bruno Pelassy's Ghosts
* JW Veldhoen performs 'Witchburn'
* Bernard Welt's 'Jason Voorhees RIP'
* Self-Portrait Day: My Halloween Costume
2008
* 20 new animatronic horror props for 2008
* How to build your own spooky house, part 1
* 20 coffins
* The Mr. Demon Face Contest
* The Spooky House Swap Meet
* A chronology of 26 things with Clive Barker's name on them and what he thinks about that
* Galerie Dennis Cooper presents ... 21 Carvers
* Gore vs. Guro
* The Monster Mask Store
* 20 ghosts in varying shades of real
* DC's top 20 Trick or Treat Candies for 2008
* DC's Top 10 Southern California Haunted Attractions for Halloween 2008 (in no order)
* Today you get Halloween leftovers
2009
* The 15 best new animatronic Halloween props for 2009 (in no order)
* How to create a workable Halloween with your bare hands even if you're in some 'spookiness' impaired backwater like Europe
* DC's 2009 Halloween Mask Store
* 16 variations on the theme of pumpkin
* 18 Trick or Treater Menu Item Ideas
* Galerie Dennis Cooper presents ... Seasonal Group Show, plus a special preview of Lux's Halloween Day DC's Extravaganza
* By special request, low cost Halloween ideas for Misanthrope (and you)
* DC's 13 most mouthwatering spooky houses of 2009 (in no order)
* Self-Portrait Day: My Halloween Costume, Day 1
* Self-Portrait Day: My Halloween Costume, Day 2
* 10 timed, bloodcurdlingly true stories
* Skull,'skulls', skull, 'skull', 'skull', 'skulls', skull, 'skull', 'skull', 'skulls', 'skull', 'skull', skull, ...
* Lux presents: Halloween
----
*
p.s. Hey. Uh, yeah. ** Plexus, Hey, Gaboesque. Yeah, I was still gay when we made 'Them', ha ha. No costumes, just whatever the guys were wearing that day. Now they're wearing pickier versions of the same thing. In that 80s pic, I was probably coked up and trying to take the edge off that with, uh, wine or something. It looks like a cup of wine to me. Good question on what my spooky house would be like. I try not to imagine it because it would be too painful not to be able to make what I imagine. Not that I'm not used to that conundrum though, I guess, ha ha. It would probably be really subtle comparatively, I think. My friend/ collaborator Gisele's and my new piece that we're working on is a walk through spooky maze full of talking, crying, shivering, etc. lifesize boy and girl mannequins. I guess that'll be a test. I used to want to live in an abandoned restaurant. Maybe I still do, come to think of it. So, you're off to the car wash today? Do you sit in a glass booth? I can't remember what the pay stations at car washes look like. Survive your first day and, you know, tell me all about it please. Big love to you, G. ** David Ehrenstein, Hey. Oh, thank you so much for the email/post. I appreciate it a lot. You're a life saver, D. I bet you've heard that before. ** Pilgarlic, Jesus, that egg cream thing sounds awful. What's with the misleading, creamy name? I'll avoid it like the plague then. I think the Biebs has another year in him. If it was the 1970s, he'd be over by now, but now you get the story of the celeb kids' fade out thrown in your face too, and it just never seems to end. How many years has it taken for Paris Hilton to fade away, and she hasn't yet. She just got her 28th wind for Christ's sake. ** JW Veldhoen, Amazing stuff, man. Your comment, obviously. Crimp hates me and everything I stand for, or he did back in the days when we made 'Them'. He called me a bad homosexual or something like that. 'Them' isn't that violent. It's a lot more intuitive and emotion-based than making any point about power and homosexuality or anything like that. No, the 'Them' of the title is about memory and romanticism. The piece's gayness is by proxy and just kind of there like it is in basically everything I'm involved in. Anyway, it's not about us vs. them or who's outside or anything like that although readings are readings. Thanks for the invite. I'm totally tied up with 'Them' prep until Thursday, but I wish I could. ** Heliotrope, Hi, Mark! Thank you a lot for that. Yeah, it's ... you know. Strange and huge, and I'm trying to figure it all out, and it'll take me forever, I guess. Vast amounts of love back to you and J. What's going on these days, my friend? ** Tim Jones-Yelvington, Hey, Tim! Yeah, I was the director of programming for Beyond Baroque for three years, '80 to '83. They just changed directors recently. I'm not sure who's running it now. I don't know how I could help with the gig, but I'm more than happy to help if you need and if I can. Yeah, Pank looks fucking incredible! You did amazing work, and I'm extremely proud to be in it. Everyone, Mr. Tim Jones-Yelvington is the guest-editor of the new, current issue of the great online lit site Pank, and it's 'The Queer Issue', and it's packed with really strong, impressive work, including things by blog associates Tim, Mike Kitchell, and me too. It's very highly recommended that you click this and go see the thing for yourself. Seriously! Thanks so much, Tim. Congrats and great respect to you. ** Empty Frame, Hi, man. When I go back to Paris, I'm going to look into the possibilities of getting 'Them' performed there if possible, but I don't know. At the moment, it's just going to be this one run of performances. If they go well, maybe. Yeah, it's crazy in France right now. It's awesome. This is one the many reasons I love the French so much. It's a real showdown. Sarkozy is such a egomaniacal, insecure fascist that it's hard to imagine him backing down, but at least he's fucking himself and his party for the next election more thoroughly every day. We'll see. It's very exciting. How's your work going? Are you back into it? Did the Frieze experience have an impact on your interest in working one way or another? ** Alan, Hey, Alan. It was a nice space. It's not where we're performing the piece though. The performance space at PS122 is blacker and much grungier, but I actually like it better. I hope to see you soon. How's your schedule? ** Steevee, Hey. No, I'm pretty sure it's Panchitos. It's that place where we had that d.l. dinner the last time I was here. In the mid-Village on, uh, MacDougal, I think? I'm glad your head ordeal will be reaching its finale this week. ** Destroyed beyond emptiness, Hi, Darren! Yeah, short stretches of complacency are good, I think, at least when you're not normally inclined to feel like that, like, well, you and me, I guess. Enjoy while it lasts. Foppishness: such a good word and a good state. I wish I was foppish. I've always kind of envied fops. Yeah, I'm sure your friend had heartfelt intentions with that abuse characterization. The complexities are really hard for some people to grasp. I mean, I'm always trying to explore those complexities in my writing, but they just don't compute for a lot of people, no matter how hard I try. Interesting. Oh, that sucks about the anthology. Their huge loss, obviously. That series of anthologies hasn't been too into experimental approaches in its history. It's about quality boners and all that. Kind of plays into what I was just saying above, actually. Anyway, you don't sound like you're taking it to heart, and don't. On your questions: My advice is to not even mention that work you're submitting has been on your blog. To mention it just confuses things. The only thing you want to do is probably remove it from the blog or the place it is if you can when you send it out. Other than doing that, if you can, no, I wouldn't worry about it. I've submitted work that has been on this blog even, and it's never been an issue. I'll need to sit and think about good places to submit work for you. Let me do that. HTMLGIANT is a great resource to read and follow because they constantly reference and showcase literary sites and magazines and contexts that are usually really good places, and you can check them out and see if they seem like places you'd like to send your work. But I will think and come up with suggestions soon too. Of course email me the story. I'm kind of slow in reading things right now 'cos I'm finishing my novel, but I'd love to see it and read it, yes. I look forward to reading the new works you've posted and the Blood and Guts thing. I'll try to do that later if the rehearsals get finished early enough. Everyone, the divine writer and d.l. Destroyed beyond emptiness (formerly 'little foal' too) has new work up and readable, and he's amazing, so I strongly recommend that you take advantage. There's work here and here, and there's also something he made called BLOOD AND GUTS, which is more pictorial, and it's here. Thanks a lot, Darren, and lots of love to you. ** David, Man, enough of these health ordeals. You've paid your dues. Better safe than sorry though, I guess, right? But still. Ugh, sorry, D. I hope you had some kind of splendid birthday in the midst of all of that. ** Davidc, Hi, David. NYC is treating me pretty well. Weather's been quite acceptable, and I hope it holds long enough for you to enjoy it too. ** Derek McCormack, Hey, Derek, maestro, godlike one. Oh, a post from you, wow. Man, amazing, if so, and, if not, the thought is amazing. Yeah, I mean just format it as you like, and I can reformat it here if I need to, but it's fairly straightforward and easy. Thank you so much, D. How is the novel going? Is it even maybe finished? ** Andrew, Oh, yeah, other spooky house walkers can touch you, that's right. Oh, well. You should totally send work to SpankZine. Use my name or whatever if you think that would matter, Of course you can ask writing technique questions. Anytime. Fire away. ** Nb, Yeah, it was great to be able to see you so much. More of that, for sure. I need to buckle down and figure out our next spooky house. Thanks a lot for the noodle house link. I'll get up there one way or the other. The award thing was nice. I guess I'll describe it to Itmpw as best I can. ** Sypha, Back to work, eh? Sorry, man. ** Robert-nyc, Hi, Robert! I'm pretty sure that Thursday is sold out, but I'm pretty sure that none of the other performances are sold out. Oh, that's very cool about the mass poem acceptance at Assaracus. Coincidentally, I think the guy who edits that just wrote to me the other day, and I've been looking for the time to go investigate the magazine and the press. Very nice, man! The spooky house we went to was Blood Manor. Is Superstitions the other big, advertised spooky house? I definitely am going to that one too. ** Ishmael, Hey. Oops, yeah, I should have put those credits in there, gulp. I'll slip them in later on so future generations will give the makers their due. You were the awesome presenter last night, sir. See you in a few hours. ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey. I think I've mentioned here that, due to my desire to be an archaeologist, my parents sent me to Peru when I was kid to work with real archeologists on a site there, and it was unbelievably boring to just move dirt around with a paint brush in the scalding sun for twelve hours a day, or at least it was to a weird kid like me. That was the end of that goal. That's nice how appreciated you were. I probably would have gotten paranoid and thought that everyone knows I have terminal cancer or something, and that they're afraid to tell me. Retracted eardrums. Huh. And nasal sprays will fix that. How curious. I hope it works. Oh, so the friend of a friend in the mental hospital got released already? Did I understand that right? I'm sure it's not like in 'Halloween', but I did get that seasonal mental image. Poor her, poor you guys. I'm sorry. My Monday: Worked on the novel, of course. I finished the almost final draft of the second section, and I'l start on the third one if I have any time today, and that feels good. So, I did that and worked on the blog and talked to my sister and my buddy Joel and my agent and a couple of other people. Then I walked over to PS122 to meet with Ishmael and start getting the theater space ready, but it turned out that we had a miscommunication, so I just ended up sitting around there by myself for a while, but that was okay. Ishmael finally showed up, and we took the subway up to this place Symphony Space where the Bessie Awards were happening. There was a pre-show cocktail party thing, and I saw a bunch of performance art people I haven't seen in forever, and that was cool. And I ate free pizza and drank most of a beer. Then the show started, and I didn't have a seat, so I just stood at the back. Basically, it was like the usual award ceremony thing. The host was Isaac Mizrahi, who was kind of funny, I guess, and who still looks exactly like he did twenty years ago, which was kind of weird. Presenters came up, introduced the awards, they showed a clip of the winners' work, and the winners came up and thanked their parents and boyfriends/ girlfriends and stuff. The presenters included some dance world royalty like Yvonne Rainier, Jock Soto (who was a famous ballet dancer in the 80s), and others, and Ishmael was a superstar presenter too. One of the dancers in 'Them' won an award, so that was cool. I stayed for most of it, but then I got worried that there'd be a zillion people trying to get taxis at the same time, so I ducked out a little early and came back to where I'm staying. And I ate some stuff that was in the refrigerator and crashed. That was pretty much it, I think. How's Tuesday treating you? ** Misanthrope, You made it back okay, good. It was very awesome and superior seeing you, man. Like totally. You kept me sane. 'Them' proceeds, I think. There's a long day of getting it set up ahead of me. Miss you, man, but I'm glad you're here. ** Rigby, Hey, Rigs. I look scary? Me? That's cool. No can of worms, don't worry. Well, there is no funeral, and there's not even a memorial service so far. My step-mother is in heavy denial mode and doesn't want to do anything. She probably will, though. So all is calmish on the family front for now. Love back to you from me. ** 'Stoopid Slapped Puppies', Hey, Nick. That's so strange about the difficulty of getting wifi, etc. I would say it's understandable, but it kind of only vaguely is, and after that it gets creepy. But I don't know much in detail about the Spanish divide. Oh, right, wow, you did send me that post on Kier. I completely spaced on that somehow. Yeah, great! I'll go find that and get it in place. Thank you, Nick, albeit long after the fact. I'm really, really glad to hear you're writing and that 'Man in the Overcoat' is growing. You know, what with your blog being quiet of late, I wasn't sure. But I'm thrilled and excited to hear that. So, you sound like you're content there, yes? You have some friends there, right? People you knew before you moved there? I hope you're not feeling too lonely, just the sweet loneliness that makes a writer a writer. Superdry, ha ha. Thanks, Cool. Really, really great to see you, Nick. Whole bunches of love and respect. ** Bollo, Hey, man. Filmed ... well, I'm sure it'll get video documented. Maybe with more than one camera if we're lucky. Beyond that, hm, don't know. Hope the haircut and the shoes fit. ** Slatted Light, Hey, D! Thanks about 'Them'. Yeah, I think it's going to go okay. We'll see. No kidding about the French strikes and protests. Amazing. French high school students have now joined the protest and are staying out of school. Beautiful stuff. Really hard to know what will result. Like I was saying, it's really difficult to imagine Sarkozy backing down. After that shit with the Roma explusions, and virtually the whole world calling him a racist, he didn't give an inch. It could get very intense. Fascinating. I want to read the Philip Best book, yeah. It's on my post-novel writing list. Really great news that you finished the horror essay, pre-rewrite anyway! Really great! Is the idea to get it published as a book, I forget? Obviously, I can not wait until I can get my eyes on that. All the ultra-best to you too, man. ** Creative Massacre, I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad day. Hopefully, it'll be a quick moment or mini-phase. I'm doing okay, really busy, too busy to think or feel too much, which is good. I'm hoping to hit two more NYC spooky houses, and you'll definitely hear all about them. Feel better, my pal. ** Okay. So, Halloween's bloggish past comes back to haunt you today. Enjoy, I hope. I'll see you guys tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment