Friday, October 29, 2010

A More Perfect Union


Oh, how I Love this. A Taiwanese woman "uninspired by the men she has met" has officially married herself. There was a ceremony, honeymoon and everything.

One of my favorite monologues to do for auditions is always a woman who is attempting to register for gifts for herself even though she is not getting married. I think that this just sounds like sheer bliss. Not because I don't need or want a man in my life. I do. And, it's not because I am uninspired by the men I meet. I meet and date incredible men all the time (ever since getting my Man Picker fixed. )

[Side note: I actually had to take a moment just now to have a serious head-party to celebrate the fact that I have not dated one asshole since being demolished by the granddaddy of them all 4 years ago. That is HUGE for me - as my romantic diet up until then consisted almost entirely of men that I allowed to commit emotional and mental homicide.]

No, I have incredible men in my life - just haven't yet found my perfect fit. Friends often ask me if I don't want to grow old with someone. Yes, without question I do. Myself. I lived the majority of my life completely disconnected from my little stranger of a self. But, I am now in full possession of ME. I am finally head over heels in love with ME. I figure if I grow old with ME - then I am good to go. Would I like a partner to share life with - especially as I age? Sure. But, until he comes along and we sweep one another off our collective feet - I can imagine nothing better than having a commitment ceremony with myself and going on a honeymoon trip somewhere exotic completely alone.

In fact, I think that every single person should first be introduced to, and fall in love with, themselves; have a ceremony solidifying their commitment to themselves and experience taking a vacation totally alone, thoroughly enjoying their own company, before they are EVER allowed to commit to another person.

Despite my reservations, I support marriage - of both the gay and regular varieties. But, Self Marriage? Now, that is a train I can jump aboard without reservation.

No comments:

Post a Comment