Saturday, October 30, 2010

Lux presents ... The 2010 Lux Than Zero Halloween season countdown culminating in the world premiere of 'I Know You Cried Last Night'

----
Day 1







Day 2










Day 3

Horror Icons' Top 10 Horror Films
Part 1 - The Old School


George Romero
1. The Thing From Another World (1951)
"Because it was the FIRST horror flick that scared the shit out of me. Opening a door... any door... has, ever since, been a traumatic experience for me."

2. The Innocents (1961)
3. Repulsion (1965)
4. Cat People (1942)
5. Jaws (1975)
6. Alien (1979)
7. Poltergeist (1982)
8. Frankenstein (1931)
9. The Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
10. Cult of the Cobra (1955)


Tobe Hooper
1. Psycho (1960)
2. The Exorcist (1973)
3. The Haunting (1963)
4. Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1956)
5. Frankenstein (1931)
6. The Devil's Backbone (2001)
7. Pulse (2001)
8. Night Of The Demon (1957)
9. Mask Of The Demon (Black Sunday) (1960)
10. Suspiria (1977)


John Landis
1. The Exorcist (1973)
"As for THE GREATEST HORROR FILMS EVER MADE, I personally loathe "best" or "worse" lists of movies. I can rattle off some of the films that I think are terrific in the genre, if you want. I guess if I had to, I would say William Friedkin's film of the William Peter Blatty novel The Exorcist is up at the top, only because of the movie's ability to create "Suspension of Disbelief" is so profound. I am an atheist and certainly do not believe in Jesus Christ or in Satan. But during the running time of The Exorcist I bought into all of it! The Vatican should give Friedkin money or at least saint-hood for what he accomplished with that film."

In no particular order:
Frankenstein (1931)
Bride of Frankenstein (1935)
The Old Dark House (1932)
Dracula (1958)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
The Thing (both versions) (1951, 1982)
The Fly (1986)Dead Of Night (1945)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
Psycho (1960)
Repulsion (1968)
Kwaidan (1964)
Onibaba (1964)
Kuroneko (1968)
The Innocents (1961)
The Haunting (1963)
Night Of the Living Dead (1968)
The Devil's Backbone (2001)
The Sixth Sense (1999)


John Carpenter
1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
"Tobe [Hooper] really hit the times when he did that movie, more than almost any other film. I remember going to see it when it was out here in Los Angeles - it was '74 or '75 - and I remember that experience of seeing it for the first time. Jeez. What makes it all the more effective is the fact it's so funny."

2. Suspiria (1977)
3. Psycho (1960)
4. The Exorcist (1973)
5. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
6. The Mummy (1959)


Wes Craven
1. Nosferatu (1922)
2. The Exorcist (1973)
3. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
4. Man Bites Dog (1992)
5. The Omen (1976)
6. The Hunchback Of Notre Dame (1939)
7. Frankenstein (1931)
8. The Tenant (1976)
9. Repulsion (1965)
10. Rosemary's Baby (1968) - ("Yes, I'm a Polanski freak!")


Joe Dante
1. The Innocents (1961)
"I've just never been able to find another film that creeped me out as much as this one. It's a quiet, genteel, even Masterpiece Theater-type movie, but its implications are so dark and ambiguous that I never tire of it. Freddie Francis never topped his cinematography here and Deborah Kerr's tightrope-walk performance blurs the line between terror and madness. A great film."

2. Psycho (1960)
3. The Exorcist (1973)
4. Blood And Black Lace (1964)
5. The Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)
6. The Body Snatcher (1945)
7. The Black Cat (1934)
8. Night Of The Demon (1957)
9. Masque Of The Red Death (1964)
10. The Seventh Victim (1943)


Sean S. Cunningham
1. Alien (1979)
"I saw it at a sold out DGA preview and I couldn't believe how I fell for every gag and every situation. I was sitting two rows behind OJ Simpson (he was "The Juice" back then) and I saw him come out of his seat more than once... ergo, I didn't feel like too much of a wuss. For me, Alien was the first of the new breed of fun, exciting and scary movies."

2. Halloween (1978)
3. Jaws (1975)
4. Frenzy (1972)
5. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
6. Misery (1990)
7. The Silence Of The Lambs (1991)
8. The Thing (1982)

"Too Good to Stay Off the Lists:"
1. Poltergeist (1982)
2. Aliens (1986)
3. Psycho (1960)
4. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
5. The Shining (1980)
6. The Omen (1976)
7. The Orphanage (2007)
8. The Exorcist (1973)
9. The Fly (1986)
10. Interview With The Vampire (1994)
11. Dead Alive (1992)
12. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
13. Carrie (1976)
14. See No Evil (1971)
15. Battle Royale (2000)

"Great Fun to Watch:"
1. Scream (1996)
2. Re-Animator (1985)
3. Teeth (2007)
4. Shaun Of The Dead (2004)
5. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
6. Zombieland (2009)



Day 4



Day 5

Horror Icons' Top 10 Horror Films
Part 2 - The New School


Eli Roth
1. Pieces (1982)
"Well, we all know that it's not the greatest horror film of all time... or is it? Over and over I have shown this film to people, and without fail, Pieces is the single most fun viewing experience one can have at the movies.It's just completely nuts, the gore is spectacular, the nudity plentiful and gratuitous, and it has the single greatest ending in movie history. Rent it with a group of friends and your favourite alcohol or smoking substance NOW."

2. The Wicker Man (1973)
3. Alien (1979)
4. Zombie Flesh Eaters (1979)
5. The Evil Dead (1981)
6. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
7. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
8. The Shining (1980)
9. Ju-On (videos from 2000)
10. Who Can Kill A Child? (1976)


Ti West
1. The Shining (1980)
"It's hard to say anything about this movie that hasn't already been said. Kubrick was the best... A filmmaker unlike anyone else that has ever picked up a camera."

2. The Exorcist (1973)
3. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
4. Jaws (1975)
5. The Changeling (1980)
6. Psycho (1960)
7. Alien (1979)
8. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
9. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
10. Halloween (1978)


Lux
1. The Shining (1980)
An American Werewolf in London (1981)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

In no particular order
2. The House of The Devil (2009)
3. Evil Dead II (1987)
4. Twin Peaks: Fire walks With Me (1992)
5. Tenebrae (1982)
6. Let the Right One In (2008)
7. Return of The Living Dead (1985)
8. The Omen (1976)
9. Scream (1996)
10. My Little Eye (2002)


Rob Zombie
1. Frankenstein (1931)
"Nothing reminds me more of why I love horror movies than this tight 70 minutes of classic fright. James Whale delivers the gold standard of which all horror films must aspire to. Iconic characters are instantly and seamlessly created by the great Boris Karloff, Dwight Frye and Colin Clive. As good as it gets."

2. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
3. The Exorcist (1973)
4. Dawn of the Dead (1978)
5. Freaks (1932)
6. Cannibal Holocaust (1980)
7. Halloween (1978)
8. The Shining (1980)
9. Jaws (1975)
10. King Kong (1933)


Pascal Laugier
1. The Exorcist (1973)
"I am overly fascinated by this film. There's something unexplainable in the way it operates on the audience. The rhythm of the editing is strange, unexpected... The prologue in Iraq remains a mystery. Today, any studio would cut it out because it's not directly linked to the story. It seems useless. In fact, it brings layers and makes the film both riveting and impenetrable. An absolute and pure masterpiece of adult horror cinema."

2. Deep Red (1975)
3. The Innocents (1961)
4. The Tenant (1976)
5. Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975)
6. Full Circle (The Haunting Of Julia) (1977)
7. The Omen (1976)
8. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
9. The Beyond (1981)
10. The Other (1972)


Alexandre Aja
1. The Shining (1980)
"From the first aerial shot to Nicholson's final haunting smile, this is a seamless masterpiece of unforgettably shocking images. With more subtext than a lifetime could analyse and an acting performance that will pursue you with an axe into your subconscious, this operatic horror movie is a hypnotic manifesto of the dark side of our soul."

2. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
3. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)
4. Alien (1979)
5. The Exorcist (1973)
6. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
7. Evil Dead (1981)
8. The Thing (1982)
9. Maniac (1980)
10. The Fly (1986)


Edgar Wright
1. Carrie (1976)
"This movie is utter perfection for me. I can watch it over and over again. It's a rare horror film where one has total sympathy with its lead even as they wreak horrible retribution on their tormentors. It's a teen classic and pure cinematic opera."

2. An American werewolf in London (1981)
3. The Thing (1982)
4. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)
5. Don't Look Now (1973)
6. Halloween (1978)
7. The Wicker Man (1978)
8. Suspiria (1977)
9. The Brood (1979)
10. Evil Dead II (1987)


Greg McLean
1. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
"For sheer balls out, mind-bending terror nothing can top TCM for me. I saw it when I was 14 years old (having not been exposed to anything so visceral and realistic before) and it blew my young brains out so hard I went to sleep and woke up in a nightmare state believing I was actually "in" the movie. And as full of brilliant storytelling and craft as the others on my list are, none of them got into my head and fucked my brain so badly I woke staggering around in terror in my Empire Strikes Back underpants, trying to find the door to escape from the nightmare that was TCM. That was five hours after the movie had stopped. Now THAT'S a horror movie!"

2. The Exorcist (1973)
3. Alien (1979)
4. Jaws (1975)
5. The Shining (1980)
6. The Evil Dead (1981)
7. Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
8. Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975)
9. Don't Look Now (1973)
10. The Blair Witch Project (1999)/Cat People (1942)


James Wan
1. The Exorcist (1973)
"Any movie that was made decades ago and still has the power to truly scare and offend in today's cynical, film-savvy world, is truly a genuine masterpiece: which this is. The Exorcist works on all levels of horror/thriller filmmaking. How often does a supernatural horror movie get nominated for Best Picture?"

2. Jaws (1975)
3. Poltergeist (1982)
4. The Sixth Sense (1999)
5. Deep Red (1975)
6 Black Christmas (1974)
7. Carnival Of Souls (1962)
8. A Nightmare On Elm Street (1984)
9. The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
10. Dawn Of The Dead (1978)


Guillermo del Toro
1. Frankenstein (1931)/Bride Of Frankenstein (1935)
Two of the most brilliant films ever made. Paradise lost – never regained. Karloff embodies the plea of Man in a way few have ever done. Whale is in a state of grace as a filmmaker.

2. The Birds (1963)/Jaws (1975)
The two greatest “malignant nature” horror films. Horror is meant to unsettle man’s place in creation, physically or spiritually. Both films succeed admirably at this.

3. The Shining (1980)/The Innocents (1961)
Two of the best “haunted house” movies of all times. In both instances, the scariest edifice is the human mind.

4. Vampyr (1932)/Nosferatu (1922)
The vampiric doctrine concerning the corruption of soul and body is perfectly represented by these two films. One presents us with a skeletal parasite, harbinger of the plague, and the other one with the vague spectre of impending death.

5. Alien (1979)/The Thing (1982)
The two best Science-Fiction/Horror hybrids. In both instances, the irrational horror elements rise above the scientific conceit and throw rational men and women into a paroxysm of terror.

6. Night Of The Hunter (1955)/Don’t Look Now (1973)
Two terrifying fables. Childhood as horror. Tales of innocence endangered or lost in mazes of mortar or trees.

7. The Tenant (1976)/Possession (1981)
Two parables about the dissolution of the self. The horror of an uncaring cosmos landing on the doorstep of domestic life and exposing social theatrics through overwhelming horror.

8. Martin (1977)/Let the Right One In (2008)
Two tales of youth angst as vampiric malady. Unglamourized tales of infinite loneliness and scavenging in the fringes… yet terribly poetic and fragile.

9. They Came From Within (Shivers) (1975)/Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
Two tales about the sudden loss of humanity by the pulsating drive of either hunger or lust. Ambulating sacks of flesh that ache with insatiable apetites. Hell is the others indeed.

10. Eraserhead (1976)/The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)
Two tales of modern anxiety that manage to show us just how uncivilized our social structure really is. Tales of horror within the patriarchal structure that demonstrate that the most horrible place on earth is home.



Day 6

A few Great Horror films you may not have seen because
a) you haven't heard of them
b) you thought they'd suck




Day 7

Stephen King

Say what you want about Stephen King now but in the the 70's and 80's he was a truly great writer.

Like a lot of people I know, his were the first books that got me reading literature. His novels -- It and Christine especially -- were hugely influential for me growing up. His film adaptations were always so fun to watch and there's a few classic horror movies in there such as Christine, Salem's Lot and of course Stand By Me.

As a writer, he's seen as this writer of popular trashy 'fun to read' fiction but I think he deserves more notice and respect from the literary canon.

"The most important things are the hardest things to say. They are the things you get ashamed of because words diminish your feelings - words shrink things that seem timeless when they are in your head to no more than living size when they are brought out. " - Stephen King

In the run up to Halloween, here's a scrapbook tribute for the guy whose responsible for scaring the shit out of me more than anyone growing up.

Beep Beep Richie!



(cont.)



Day 9





Day 10

Geraldo: Devil Worship: Exposing Satan's Underground
Original Air Date: 22 October 1988



(cont.)



Day 11

I heart Chucky aka Charles Lee Ray aka The Lakeshore Strangler.

A letter I wrote to Andy's mom

Dear Andy Barclay's mom.
You're one stupid bitch.
First you buy your son lame clothes for his birthday and didn't even get him one fuckin toy!
You then had to buy a good guy doll off a hobo in an alley.
Didn't you think that was weird?
Good job in bringing the notorious Lakeshore Strangler into your home.
He killed your friend Maggie but that's OK cause I hated her and thought she was mean.
He killed and a bunch of other people too tho...that's not cool. You can't do to that.
Andy had to be taken into a foster home cause you had to undergo psychiatric evaluation for backing up Andy's story about Chucky being alive.
Andy had to go to military school.
Then Chucky tried to play 'hide the soul' with a black kid called Tyler.
I think you're a bad mom.
You have blood on your hands.
Now I'm scared of kids in red converse.
Hate you Andy's mom.
Aday duey Dembella give me the power I beg of you secoose entayur may pwa de mort mortees may le devacor de me voshay adalay pour day bwasay dembella secoose entayur may pwa de mort adalay pour day bwasay dembella adalay pour dembella adalay pour day bwasay dembella adalay pour day bwasay dembella

Lux



Day 12

Salem


4 LT


































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Day 15

Best horror music video ever made!





Day 16

I feel like this today.





Day 18



Day 19

Behind the scenes of Rosemary's Baby (1968)



Day 21





Day 24



Tonight at the London Film Festival I met John Landis. He was sat behind me at a screening of Catfish (2010)

I saw him leave during the Q&A so I followed him out to the lobby and said hi. I even got to tell him American Werewolf in London (1981) is my fav horror movie of all time.

He was really nice - a total motor mouth, totally rude and brutally honest. I loved it. This was a real great film geek moment for me. My photo didn't turn out too bad. You only get one shot to take a photo in these situations and more times than not you'll come out with a odd facial expression... I'm OK with this one.

Thanks to my good friend Paul who took the photo and got abruptly dragged out of the really fascinating Q&A so I could go meet a hero.

Never been so excited whilst blogging before.



Scrapbook of reference images for the film shoot uploaded for the cast to see.



Day 25



Dear Diary.

Here's a photo of me staring at my laptop.

It's a week to Halloween and I'm freaking the fuck out. My 'to do' list is huge.I have to finish 3 films 2 of which are almost done but the big film needs alot work. I'm relying on alot of other people. This gives me anxiety. In zero budget filming nobody gives a fuck about your movie. If they let you down or cancel last minute. Even if your movie falls apart - so what? It doesn't effect anyone really but you.

During every big shoot I get the 'why do I fuckin bother moment' I think this entry is the prelude to my 'why fuckin bother moment' which inevitably will come. At these points I can see no rewards in film making. It's just me hunched over my laptop at 3am at my kitchen table wanting to give up and go to bed.

I really want these movies to work.
I just want to make great films that my friends will love.
I hope this seasons films doesn't turn into the fucking nightmare like my last Halloween films. I was against the clock til the last second.I worked for 72 hours straight to finish them and as a result burnt myself out and got really sick.
That was uncool.

OK I'm going to sleep now.
Lux



Day 26





Day 28





Day 29

Long live the iFlesh!





Halloween

I Know You Cried Last Night is my new online 'teen drama' told in photos. I'm almost done making Season 1. When It's complete I'll showcase it here ... unless HBO picks it up before that.


----


Lux Than Zero



*

p.s. Hey. In what is becoming sort of a tradition around here, this year's Halloween slot is being handled by Lux, one of this blog's longest surviving d.l.s. It's a feast, obviously, all leading up to the debut of his new 'teen drama', which I'll mention was inspired by a post on this very blog. As for which post, I'll let you guess, or maybe he'll clue you in somewhere over the weekend. Enjoy the holiday, and give your thoughts and thanks and what-have-you to your host, and thank you so much, Lux. Oh, I just realized yesterday that due to the time difference and everything, I won't be arriving in Paris on Halloween morning after all, but rather late on Monday morning. What this means in terms of the blog is that there won't be a new post on Monday. Instead, the blog and I will be back live starting on Tuesday, whereupon we'll revert to the old European posting schedule. Tonight we wrap up the current run of 'Them' with two last performances, and then tomorrow I'll head back to France. So, that's the deal. ** Plexus, Gabe! Your slave ad definitely set the bar and the standard. Every real slave is just splashing in the shallows. I find the slave profiles on various master/ slave sites, maybe six or seven of them, but most of them tend to come from a site called Recon. That's wild about the hate mail. If it matters, that 'setting the cause backwards' and 'giving straights the excuse to ... ', etc. stuff is exactly the same argument/hate my work got from the majority of gay responders and reviewers when I first started publishing. Actually, my books still get those kinds of attacks sometimes. Not only is it a load of crap, but it it's probably a good luck charm. All of that just confirmed my sense of being alienated from the so-called gay community and gay identity and all neutralizing 'gay' stuff, and that's only been a really good thing. Carry on, maestro. Love, me. ** Bernard Welt, Totally, right? ** Rob5D4, Hey, welcome to here, and thanks a lot. Please feel free to hang out here any time. It would be a pleasure. Take care. ** Sypha, That's very interesting: your coming out. My mom was also a lifelong right winger type, but she did learn to be pretty good on gay-related issues. Not good enough to break with the right wing, but still. Oh, I think that criticism that you took the path of least resistance is such total nonsense. People who try to prescribe how other people deal with their identities vis a vis the world and their intimates have way too much time on their hands. ** JoeM, Hey. Michael Jackson never meant much of anything to me, or not enough to argue about the drop in quality issue. Mm, well, the US is a total mess, that's for sure, but you live in Britain, which is easily among the most moralistic, tabloid-devouring, war-enabling countries in the world, so ... ** Allesfliesst, Hey. Wow, you're just working on one really interesting project after another. Yeah, there's a basic/ documenting video of 'Jerk', and I can send you a copy or get Gisele's management to send you one once I get settled back in Paris, if you like. Thanks! I'll check about possible performances of 'Jerk' in or near Berlin. It's constantly touring, so I'd guess there's a good chance. And I would guess 'TIHYWD' will come to Berlin. I don't know the latest touring line-up. I'll find out. It and I think 'Jerk' are in Munich in late November, like I said, but that's not close. If we do come to Berlin, I'm sure Gisele and I and whoever else would be really happy to talk to your students. After the success of my meetings with the students in Avignon, I think I've been set-up as the student meeter, partially as a possible way to get me invited along to the gigs. Best of luck on the apartment hunt. One month is doable, of course, but, yeah, I'd be nervous too anyway. ** MANCY, Hey. I'm glad you came back. Oh, well, I'm doubly or more impressed that the imagery on your blog is your own work. I kind of thought so. I'll be keeping a close eye on your blogs, and I'm sure others who read this blog will too. If you'd be interested in showcasing your work here, I'd be more than happy to host or help you put together a post. ** Trees, Hey, T. What's this magazine you're in that Janey Smith partially edited? How interesting. Maybe JS sent me some kind of alert. I'll go check. Anyway, cool and congrats to all concerned. My internet connection here is too slow to figure out what happens at the 20 second mark in that video preview, but I think I know who you're referring to. Very nice. One of those guys in that scene is the spitting image of Tao Lin. That was trippy. ** Shannon, Hey, Shannon! Oh, my total pleasure, obviously. Thank you, pal, and a very Happy Halloween to you. Doing anything special tomorrow? ** Laurabeth, Hey. Wow, a poem by you. The p.s. isn't the best situation for me as a reader/ responder because I have to keep moving, but, quickly, I think it's a very strong poem. I like the way it keeps shifting gears and emotional tones, very gracefully yet quickly. The language is quite good throughout, cutting and tight and phrased clearly but unexpectedly. The ending is sharp and powerful. Yeah, very impressive, Laura. I hope writing that one will lead you to keep writing more regularly. Kudos. ** Steevee, There's been a kind of influx of 'Emo' slaves onto the SM sites lately for some reason, so that plus my own interests explains it, I guess. Yeah, the upper age limit I use is 30. I used to call the posts the top ' ... under 30', but I dropped that because it was obvious. Partly, that age limit has to do with my personal interest in the ways younger people choose to communicate, and it's also because those posts are quite labor- and time-intensive to assemble, and if I didn't set limits in my searches, the process would take me far longer, and I just don't have the time to spend. ** Brendan, Fingers heavily crossed for tonight and for you, man. ** The Evil Ghost of JW Veldhoen, Yeah, you leave in just a few days, right? Intense, but hopefully good on the change front. Excellent response to Laurabeth's poem. ** Andrew, Hey. If you missed it, my friend and 'Them' collaborator Ishmael passed along his wisdom about the New School and Sarah Lawrence in the comments yesterday, so check it out if you haven't. ** David Ehrenstein, Even the NYC I knew from living here in the late 80s is long gone, but I'm kind of getting into NYC du jour during this trip. Almost everything has changed, but the fundamental NYC thing is still at work and play in some way. ** Alan, Hey. Thanks for linking to that. Yeah, I had hoped it would be smarter and more perceptive, but it's okay, I guess. Everyone, here's the New York Times review of 'Them' if you're interested. It was really great to get to see you, man. ** Killer Luka, Hey! Well, yeah, of course you can incorporate my novels. That would be a total honor. The show sounds so exciting, so good. I fear I'll only get to see it in installation, etc. shots, but I sure look forward to them at least. Happy Halloween and lots of love to you, C. ** L@rstonovich, The show totally ruled. I heard the first part on my leisurely walk to the theater yesterday, and part 2 is going to get me there today. Awesome, man. You've singlehandedly given me the Halloween I'm not going to physically get this year. Thanks! You make 'Finnegan's Wake' sound so tempting. Hm. I may just have to ... Hope your coastal Halloween is amazing, L. ** Nb, Hey. SIR, seriously? If so, it's just sir in all caps. I'll text you later when I get my schedule all figured out, and let's hope to meet, or I will. In any case, listen for my 'brring'. ** Creative Massacre, That sounds cool, yeah. Happiest of Halloweens to you, pal. How you are celebrating exactly? ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey. You're funny, man, yep. 'Blesh you' ... I've heard people say that, but I didn't know it was on purpose. Typically so nice of you to make your friend feel better, but I'm sorry you felt ugh afterwards. Really? The reviews might be finished this weekend? Of course, I'm totally thrilled to hear that. I've been quietly hoping and waiting. Wow, thank you. That's very exciting! I hope you get to do something Halloweeny tomorrow. If not, join my club, I guess, and I guess we'll both survive. My day: I worked on the novel for a while. It's still really slow, but so it goes. Then I went over to PS122, buying some food to munch on the way. It was chilly yesterday, so I had to button all my buttons. Then it was the usual pre-show stuff of talking with the 'Them' gang and warming up and all that. The guy who's kind of managing the show told us it looks pretty likely that we'll be doing 'Them' again in NYC in early January for this showcase event where curators from all over the world converge in NYC to see shows and hopefully try to book them for tours and gigs at their venues and things. Probably two shows right around my birthday. So, that's exciting, if it happens. We met the new and final dead goat. It's a little larger than the other ones, and it has horns, so the performer who does the thing with it has to keep that in mind so he won't get gored. Then we did the show. It went really, really well. Biggest crowd so far, packed to the rafters. We got another standing ovation, which was cool. I started feeling sad that the shows are almost over 'cos it's been so rewarding, and I'm going to miss Ishmael, Chris, and the dancers, who are all such great guys and have become my friends. But I guess we'll reunite soonish, and I have a feeling 'Them' is going to have a fairly long life. My editor at Harper Perennial, Michael Signorelli, and my friend the writer and d.l. Justin Taylor aka Maximum Etc. were at the show, and, afterwards, I got them to go have dinner with me at my fave NYC Mexican restaurant Panchitos, and that was a lot of fun although I ate too much, and I still feel kind of sick to my stomach today. Then I came back here, checked my email, etc., and crashed. Okay, you have the best Halloween you possibly can, my friend, and I look forward to hearing what happened on Tuesday. ** Ishmael, Hey, Ish. Thanks a lot for helping Andrew out. I'll see you in just a while. ** Empty Frame, Hey, man. Thanks about 'Them'. Yeah, it's been amazing, really. I hope the demo, EtV, and Halloween collectively give you a weekend to totally remember. Take care, and see you from a bit closer by next week. ** Misanthrope, You have a such a romantic vision of master/slave life. I'm sure they dream of such a scenario while they sit around waiting for each other to get in the mood. I'll only see the GbV shows if they extend the tour quite a bit. Kind of doubt it, tragically. I'm looking at all the vidclips, but it's not the same. Pollard kind of famously doesn't like touring in Europe, so I'd be pretty shocked if they hit my continent. England maybe, though. If so, I'll likely head over there for that if I possibly can. ** Jake, Hey. Yeah, I hope to have few extra minutes to give your newest piece a decent read today, and I'll let you know my thoughts when I do, of course. Actually, skinny, baby faced 19 year old masters are very in demand. ** Will Decker, Hey. The French unions aren't really Communist, per say, but, yeah, relatively speaking. There are quite a few Communist strongholds in France. Brest, the city I so often go to for the theater rehearsals, is one of them, for instance. Have a Happy Halloween, Will. ** Chilly Jay Chill, Hi, Jeff. Really good to see you! I'm glad you're keeping busy with great things. When do you head over here again? If you're here in January, you might get to see 'Them' if you want. I really look forward to the literary anthology post. Thanks a lot, man. ** _Black_Acrylic, Hey, Ben. Oh, I think I saw 'In My Skin'. I'm almost sure. I'm trying to remember. I'll have to refresh my memory via the net later. Glad you're making progress on the assigned story. I'd be curious to see the results, natch. Happy Halloween to you, sir. ** Okay, I leave you to Lux. The blog and I will see you again come Tuesday, and I apologize in advance for my guaranteed jetlag and its nefarious effects. Happy Halloween, everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment