Wednesday, July 28, 2010

You are sort of there with Oscar B and DC @ Parc Asterix, Paris (07/23/10)

----



'Parc Astérix is a theme amusement park in France, based on the stories of Asterix (by Albert Uderzo and René Goscinny). The stories are set around 50 B.C. when Julius Caesar had conquered vast regions of France. In the stories there is one small village left that won't surrender to the Romans. The villagers have a magic potion that makes them invincible, helping them to keep the Romans out. One of these villagers is called Astérix.

'Situated approximately 35 km (22 miles) north of Paris in Plailly in the département of Oise, Parc Asterix opened in 1989. It is especially well known for its large variety of roller coasters, and has begun incorporating rides and themes from historic cultures such as the Romans and the ancient Greeks. While signs and maps for Euro Disney are plastered everywhere around Paris, Parc Asterix is very much a theme park catered to the French. It's definitely not as cheery, rosy as Disney, nor are they afraid to show a little wear and tear around the edges. Every step and ambient sound isn't planned to a science, and in that respect it is very refreshing, and very French.

'Help thwart the conspiracies of Ancient Rome with "Les Stars de l'Empire", descend the rapids on "Menhir Express", go back in time and stroll along the centuries-old "Rue de Paris", and take part in the robbery of the century, that of the Mona Lisa. For the more foolhardy, challenge the gods of speed ans vertigo in a frantic race of over 80km/hr on "Tonnerre de Zeus" a huge wooden roller-coaster. After this fill of thrills, you can taste the food of Rome and famous Gallic specialities Gallic specialities, such as the wild boar sandwich.' -- collaged from various sources





The Birth of Parc Asterix




La Gaule

















La poubelle


La trace du hourra




Le Village et ses Héros















Astérix et obélix




Le Moyen-Âge et la Rue de Paris























Transdémorum




La Grèce et Les Vikings













Oxygénarium


Tonnerre de Zeus


Gouderix




L'Empire Romain
















Défie de César
----



*

p.s. Hey. It's Wednesday, Recollets cleaning day, and I'll be in my weekly semi-hurry. ** Jax, Thanks, Jack. I'm fairly confident I'll get going again, but it's very strange to stare at the novel and pick at it a little knowing exactly what I need to do in order to continue but not having the focus and sharpness and energy burst I would need to do it. It's kind of inexplicable, and I'm trying everything I know, and I hate waiting. But, yeah. The Harlequin thing sounds interesting. I know almost nothing about that genre, but I'm guessing that a real writer -- awful term, I know -- like yourself would have a serious leg up, no? I'm imagining a lot of the mss. they get require extreme editing/ rewriting by the house editors, and getting a well written mss. in and of itself would be an exciting relief. But, again, maybe there's a level of good writing in that genre that I wouldn't recognize. I'm grasping at straws. Anyway, of course I wish you the ultra-best with that, and of course I want to know what happens. ** David Ehrenstein, I really want to read that Elektra book you mentioned. It's one of the books I always check S&Co.'s shelves for. I was friendly for a while in the 80s with Albee's boyfriend of that time. A young aspiring playwright. No gossip, though, or none I can remember. I would of course love to do a signing or whatever in that bookstore. Wowzer. ** Pilgarlic, Thanks for the commissing, man. I'll sort it out, or I always have in the past, and so the odds are. I kind of wish I could try fooling around with character development as a helpmate, but my characters aren't characters to me, they're just the ghost-shaped sets of words that haunt the novel's structure or something. Or something indeed, ha ha. Dude, that heat where you are, ugh. I'm getting phantom listlessness just thinking about it. On the other hand, Beryl just seems cooler by the second. ** Bill, Yeah, it sucks you'll just miss the Peyre. I put a post together about him while investigating his stuff, and it's a pretty cool body of weird work. See you in just a while and for sure. ** Alan, Hey. I'm pretty instinctual and of the moment about writing problems. I've never figured out special ways around them, just the usual trying harder or backburnering things. This lack of sharpness problem, or rather its ongoingness, is new to me, I think, and I'm at a total loss about how to get past it. In the old days, I would probably have tried amphetamine or coke or that sort of thing to rev myself up, but that feels too drastic. Long story short, I don't have unusual writing trouble magic tricks. Sure wish I did. ** Killer Luka, I'm not sure that you qualify as a worshipper of the beautiful after all given your evil wishes re: their faces. I should talk, and I just did. Those parody trailers are very Tenacious D. No, thank you, i.e. your drawings, goodness gracious! ** Marcus Whale, Hey there, Marcus! Bret's a little newer and younger than me, but I do think of us as contemporaries, which is weird, I guess. I still haven't read 'Imperial Bedrooms'. I need to do that. I like Bret's work a whole lot. The only one I'm not all that high on is 'The Rules of Attraction'. Awesome about your writing getting going. That fear of it sounding/ reading like another writer is so natural and almost never true. Don't worry about that. Wow, you are doing a lot right now. Amazing that you can actually write at the same time. I'm writing or trying very hard to, and this and that. I'm always doing a bunch of things at once, I guess. I'm alright. Thanks, Marcus, and I hope I'll get to read or hear any of the stuff you're doing right now. ** Misanthrope, My high school friends and I were arty teen hippie wannabe acidheads, so the rumors about us were all re: drug binges and homosexual orgies. The binges were fairly accurate, but I wouldn't call what we had orgies. Of course I really hope the stress test goes okay today. I assume she won't be given it if there's any real danger, right? I had sex in a graveyard twice, both with quite positive results. Positive in the pre-AIDs sense. ** JW Veldhoen, Hey. Dude, I know you, and if you want to go back to NYC, and I imagine you will, you will. Just break through it, whatever it will involve. Harder than that sounds, I know, but easier too. ** Heliotrope, Hey, Mark. Teepee, cool. Bedoiun tents might be even cheaper, no? Oh, maybe not now that I actually visualize one. There's Parc Asterix up there. It was better than it looks. Especially the Défie de César ride, which doesn't really cut it in the photos and video but is the freshest, best new ride since Indiana Jones opened at Disneyland. ** Steevee, Oh, for an American 'Enter the Void', for instance. Or, oh, for a young American director's 'Inland Empire'. I guess it's a funding thing. Hardly anyone over there even wants to see Harmony Korine's films. ** L@rstonovich, Welcome back from the offwork pleasantness, man. And it sounds much more than pleasant. 'Yeti' is awesome, yeah. I've missed the recent issues, but, yeah, it's great. McGonigal's one awesome maker. Bruce Conner ... yeah, I did a whole post about him. This one. ** Kier, Dude, that thing is amazing. What the fuck is it? Oh, wait, maybe it's best if I don't get clued in. Hm. Everyone, Kier made this, and hold on to your hats. ** _Black_Acrylic, Hey. ** David, Me too. ** Chilly Jay Chill, Hey, man. No, I'm still struggling mightily and painfully as of this morning. 'Edwin Mullhouse' is just insanely great, right? Millhauser is a treasure. As for what next by him, well, 'Martin Dressler' is his big book, and wonderful. I like his smaller, artier books too like 'In the Penny Arcade' and 'In the Barnum Museum'. Enjoy the beach, pal. ** Creative Massacre, Really, really glad to hear that, my friend. Are you at the point where you can start making lively plans for yourself? ** Catachrestic, Jared! Well, hey there, man! Of course, of course use me as a reference or whatever you like re: the internship applications. Tell 'em to call me or ask me about you or whatever, anything. Other interesting LA presses ... Green Integer, but they don't publish too often. Uh, hm. I'm blanking. There are that many there, I don't think, but I am blanking. I'm okay, all in all. You're okay too, all in all? It'd be cool if you moved to LA. Anyway, the door here is so wide open to you whenever you want that it's off its hinges. ** Sypha, Yeah, it's summer, and presses go dormant in the summer a lot, so yeah. I agree that would make a fine author photo. Everyone, would this shot of Sypha no make an excellent author photo? ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey. I'm sure that screaming kid is okay. Most high pitched screams end in cuddles. Law of averages. My internet connection is too sucky this morning to get through your song of the day, but I got through a few seconds. That's a woman? There's something mysterious about you even when you talk or rather type at least. That's a nice haul for forty bucks. You'll have to tell me how the Michelle Tea book is. I like her, but I haven't read that one. Yeah, I don't think I've even seen an ad for 'True Blood'. My day: I was going to go to see this Edvard Munch show with Bill, Oscar, and Kiddiepunk, but it got delayed until today. I tried to work on my novel, and it was bad again, but at least I decided I'm the problem rather than it, and that's a start. Something bit my hand the other day, or so I thought, and yesterday the 'bite' started itching a lot, so I itched it, and now it looks more like impetigo. I used to get impetigo every year or two when I was younger, and it will suck if that's what it is, but it also would mean my system is really run down, and that might explain my lack of concentration. Anyway, it itched all day, and it still does. I talked to my buddy Joel about his impending visit to Paris, and he lost his passport, and now the trip is on hold until he finds it or gets a new one. My sister called to tell me that my dad is doing a little better. I found out that the Christophe Honore film that I play a small role in -- 'Homme au Bain' -- opens in France on September 22nd, and there'll be a big Paris premiere just before that, and I'm kind of excited, and my name is on the poster for the film, which is trippy and cool. I did some blog post building stuff. I did some email stuff. I did stuff I either can't remember or that isn't worth recounting. I slept. It was possibly a slightly better day than the one before, all in all. How was Wednesday where you are? ** Math, Oh, hm, yeah, about the second interview. Well, maybe you're so obviously cleared for the third round that they didn't feel like they needed to take up much time with you. That's my hope. Oh, thank you for getting the ugliness out of my future restaurant experiences, not that you put it there in the first place. Love, me. ** Ken Baumann, I'll bet 'T:2' held up great. I talked to Robert Patrick a few times years back. He used to go to a lot of the same punk/New Wave gigs I did. Nice guy. Really glad to hear the good news about 'Solip', and your attitude about it is admirable, and I'll try to use it as an influence on my attitude. Yeah, yeah, I need to be patient. I'm really not feeling patient at all. I'm really not used to my brain being uncooperative for this length of time. Grr. Thanks a lot about my dad. I mean, yeah, he's 94 years old, and I need to get real on that front. I still secretly think there must be a way to cheat death. Useful to think sometimes, but not a big help right now. Love right back at you, man. ** The Dreadful Flying Glove, Thanks for cheating the start time of your job to give it up for us and also for the most splendid of Days. ** Colin, Hey. Does the Scottish magazine put its stuff online? I'd love to read your new work. I also love the title of your chapbook: 'too ok'. That's beautiful, and those naysaying publishers are dopes, whoever they may be. Chapbooks are particularly hard to get published, aren't they? Are you trying both print presses and places that do online chapbooks? ** I'd better go. Vacation slideshow for you today. Feel free to check your email or fool around with your cellphone apps throughout. My hand itches, and it sucks. Whatever else too. See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment