Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Dreadful Flying Glove presents ... Annette Peacock Day

----


You might ask --

Who is Annette Peacock --

Perhaps I've never heard of her --

What is it that she did --

does, --

has yet to do --

Where can she be found?

And I say --

Annette Peacock is over there, ahead, in the distance --

Not quite out of reach --

Not quite waiting --

And also --

That she had me from the first line --

She had me at 'obsequious holograms'.





"Just For The Kick", with Coldcut (2003)

This was the first thing of Annette's that I heard --

Because Marcello Carlin had reviewed Sound Mirrors --

He had said something like "how the HELL did they get her??" --

He had written something else --

About her 1972 album, I'm The One --

Made it sound like a missing link, a martyred prototype --

Altogether too good for this world --

And it was hard to find --

But I got my hands on it somehow --

And he was right --

But there was more:





"My Momma Never Taught Me How To Cook" (1978)

I don't have much to say about Annette Peacock --

Much that's particularly intelligent, anyhow --

I've written a lot about Annette Peacock --

And it's all been dreadful --

Not just 'Dreadful' but dreadful --

Crap, in fact --

All of it! --

Crap!

Pages and pages of crap --

While attempting to navigate Annette Peacock --

Only to find myself writing about myself --

Weight and revenge --

Male sexual frustration --

Status anxiety --

'Real and defined androgens' --

Which isn't the point of it --

Not even the way her music makes me feel --

Like telling someone about a dream you had --

Or a boyfriend --

Even with diagrams --

It isn't it --

It just ISN'T THE POINT.

I came to realise --

That if you can't get to this --

If it doesn't transfix you with horror --

Longing --

Hunger --

Glee --

Sympathetic conjunctivitis --

Animation of the most penetrating kind --

Nothing I can say will be able to help you --

So I will let it speak for itself.





"young," (2006)

Treatment for a documentary film --

To be directed by anyone --

Perhaps Werner Herzog --

Annette Peacock leads an expedition --

Carefully selected volunteers --

Fulsome provisions --

No GPS --

A beautiful pea-green boat.

Where are they sailing?

Into the ocean --

No particular ocean --

And when the sun hits the ocean --

Just right --

They disembark --

Onto the shore --

Through the darkened village --

And look up --

Up to Mount Analogue.







"Daddy's Boat" (1971)

They --

Paul Bley and Annette Peacock --

Had acquired an early Moog --

Acquired it from Moog himself --

Practically a prototype --

"What the fuck is that thing?" --

Said Gary --

But no switching on Bach for Annette --

She began using it in anger --

To transform instruments --

Cymbals, vibraphone, clarinet.

To transform HER VOICE --

1969 --

You can hear it on "Daddy's Boat" --

And all over I'm The One --

Busily becoming another kind of instrument --

Electricity in the throat --

In the tongue and the lips --

That beautiful voice --

Crackling with threat --

Itself no more.





"I'm The One" (1972)

Many of Annette's records are hard to find --

Or out of print --

Or both.

The albums recorded with Paul Bley are unobtainable --

I'm The One is out of print --

Which makes no sense at all --

There is a nine disc box set of The Eagles --

In addition to the 29 million copies of Their Greatest Hits --

But no I'm The One.

Sanctuary released a compilation in 2004 --

My Momma Never Taught Me How To Cook --

It combines x-dreams and The Perfect Release --

Also out of print --

It was deleted in 2007 --

But by some distance may be the easiest thing to find.

During the 1980s --

Annette set up her own label --

IRONIC RECORDS --

Her publishing company is called VICIOUS MUSIC --

I Have No Feelings and abstract contact are still available --

From CDBaby --

abstract contact contains 'Happy With My Hand' --

& you'll believe her --

Also available from CDBaby is the 2006 album --

31:31 --

You can preview or purchase them here.

There is a 2000 album recorded for ECM --

an acrobat's heart --

Annette plays piano and sings --

With the Cikada String Quartet --

From Norway.

An album of Annette's music was also released in 1997 --

Nothing ever was, anyway --

Marilyn Crispell on piano, with Gary Peacock and Paul Motian --

Just one track with vocals --

Super desolate ballads --

Really fucking good.

More knowledgeable and articulate people than I --

There are a few --

Have written about Annette.

I would encourage you to read their pieces --


Destination OUT wrote about Revenge --

Marcello Carlin wrote about Coldcut and wrote about I'm The One --

And you can read some of Annette's interviews here --

Fascinating interviews.


Annette Peacock's official website

Annette Peacock's CDBaby page.

Annette Peacock's page at Discogs.com.

Annette Peacock's Wikipedia page

My picks:









----



*

p.s. Hey. I'm going to take a wild guess that most of you aren't familiar with Annette Peacock's work. I was, to some degree, or enough to admire it, before The Dreadful Flying Glove leant her music his expertise, and now I'm headlong into fandom, which feels good, so I urge you to follow his tale and attention and advice today then join us. What do you say? Please share at least your initial thoughts and reaction with TDFG today, and thank you for that, and my greatest thanks to you, our guest-host and the master of so many things aka the Glove, for this graceful intervention. ** Tomkendall, The pissing thing does sound like progress, man. I'll try to stay on the novel track, if you stay on yours. I say try not to sweat the possible weakness of the first person stuff until you've got the 2/3 readied. Editing and rewriting can be magic in action. You can pull off tricks so seemingly unlikely you'll amaze yourself. Keep on, Tom. ** Misanthrope, How did everything go today? Your mom's still fairly young as adults go. She can get through this. My dad is pretty much on his way out now, which is intense. It's mostly a matter of whether he's into hanging around for a while in the state he's in or not. I hope so, and he's a go-getter, but we'll see. High school rumors? Uh, hm. I think at my school, it was my friends and I who were the subject of most of the rumors going around, and I can't remember any of them this morning for fuck's sake. ** Shane Le Vein, Ha ha, the MJ sculpture looks like me? I can't see it, but I'm the kind of person who has little idea what I look like, which is why photos of me are like blinding lights. If your coming back is a matter of unluck, may I be cursed. ** Oscar B, You wore your sugar high well. I think I'll see you and Edvard Munch among other people a little later on, yes? ** David, No sooner did you predict a link would appear than DE did exactly as you guessed. Well, it could have been hours later. My blog time zone is a lot more foreshortened than yours. I dealt with Sam Steward a bit, letters, hellos, this and that. Nice fella. ** David Ehrenstein, Thanks for the SS link. I'm guessing that you, like I, must have met or know him at least a wee bit back in the day. Michael Warner is a cool, smart guy. I know him a little bit too. ** Bernard Welt, Oh, that kind of high school rumor. I get it now. There was a boy at our school who, as rumor had it, was in love with his cat and would fuck the cat every night but I think in retrospect those were unhealing sores and not newer and newer scratches all over his hands. ** Tonyoneill, Well, I think in the cases of some or many of the sand 'castles', the definition of sand is a fairly loose one. So, you're off on your tour now, no? Oh, did you get a chance to send me that thing? I haven't checked my mail yet. Have a great, great, great tour. ** Postitbreakup, Hey. Oh, you don't have to say anything or anything in particular, I mean. I was just thinking aloud given the given theme, but no response to what I said is needed or anything. Say anything at all about anything at all, basically. ** Bollo, That press you linked to does interesting books. I'm going to investigate some of them. The Chapman novel looks a little ... I don't know. Like an art spin off thing that calls itself a novel? Not a bad thing in itself, I guess. I hope your heat abates. The temperature here is so perfect, it's kind of really eerie. ** Killer Luka, I'm guessing the people who worship aren't beautiful. Do beautiful people worship? Of course they do, duh. Oh, sorry for being greedy. One foot in front of another. Okay, all this Jeff Bridges stuff ... what's up? I love Jeff Bridges, of course. Did you see the de-aged him in one of the 'Tron' trailers? Weird. ** Emily, It seems like the whole wedding of drinking and socializing is particularly the case in the UK 'cos of the whole pub thing, no? The pub thing is weird when you hardly drink like I do. It's socializing, but it's also even more like watching people transform into different, inebriated people and trying to keep up with them socially or something. Hm. Hope you had fun. The drinking with pals stuff certainly doesn't seem to have any negative effect on your brain and talent, that's for sure. ** Alan, Thanks, Alan. ** Ken Baumann, That hotel does sound really nice. 'Terminator 2' at Arclight! New print or something? Now that's a film that holds up just fine if not only improving with the passage of time. Well, the longish break I had to take re: the Avignon experience was a big part of the problem, I think. Right now I feel like I should keep trying to reenter the state I need to finish the fucker, but, if this inability keeps up for another few days, I guess I'll have to put it aside. I really don't want to, but I also don't want to give up on the novel after all this work, and that thought is dangerously close to feeling pragmatic at the moment. Thanks for the soothing, Ken. I bet it'll help. Is yours still adding up nicely, I hope? ** _Black_Acrylic, I'm guessing that Zurn book is really good, right? I don't know that one. Glad you're enjoying the place and getting the project started. Thanks for the kind thoughts about my dad too, pal. ** Bill, Hey, Bill. See you in a bit, I think. Thanks for those links. I've preserved them for my next NYC stay. Everyone, Bill passes along links to two very interesting project spaces, I guess I'll call them, in Brooklyn, and that I at least would high tail it over to were I in that area. So, maybe you'll want to. In that case, here is Observatory, which is part a super interesting larger multi-project/ gallery space called Proteus Gowanus. Text with and see you soon. ** Colin, I gave up on trying to intricately understand the hugely widespread MJ obsession years ago. Mm, I think I saw Stewart read in a group reading once a long time ago, but very briefly. I'm a gigantic fan of his. I would guess those rubbish jokes were quite purposefully rubbish, a trap he set for better or worse, but I don't know. He definitely likes to bug. I read that he's on this book shredding thing at the moment. How are you? What's up with your writing and everything? ** Sypha, That interest in destruction seems completely natural to me, but you know me. Walking is good. It does one's something or other good. Maybe it's the speeding up of one's blood flow. And I guess the fresh air. I guess when people say you should get some fresh air, it's literally true. Curious. Where are you in the process of the 'Grimoire' book. ** Steevee, That film venue sounds really cool. Yeah, I hear you about the lack of interest in transcending the every day in indie films. In fiction too. ** Luke, Really great if you'll be there. Early to mid-October, I think. I'll try to let you know when/if it gets firmed up, and I'll absolutely keep my eye out. I can't wait to get to experience new work by you. I've been longing for that experience for quite a while. Take care, Luke. ** JW Veldhoen, You're a street walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm. Wow, I think I've heard of Dorothea Towles Church. How strange. I'll add your kickassness to my battle with the gloom. Thanks, bro. Uh, your Dear Abby or, oh, wait, Ann Landers, right, question is a hard one to answer given the vagaries of its background information. But I think I've been there, yeah, although I may not have thought I'd been a retard to be there, I can't remember. Oh, shit, I just saw your late comment about grandmother. I'm so sorry to hear that, John. Lots of love to you, man. ** Inthemostpeculiar, I think the Pinhead sand sculpture was part of a horror's greatest hits sand extravaganza. Well, I'm glad to see you and glad you're less unhappy, of course. 'Jersey Shore': yet another thing I don't know a thing about except that it's supposed to controversial and surely isn't at all. Reading, reading ... what a strange day you had there. It reminded me of a video game. Uh, my day ... Oh, so my/our pal Bill from the blog is in Paris, so I met up with him, and he kindly ate lunch with me at this restaurant Indiana that isn't very good or anything but has a veggieburger on its menu as well as a not entirely horrible quesadilla. So we ate there, talked, etc., and then I introduced him to Kiddiepunk and Oscar, and we all had a coffee, and that was nice, and I think we're all going to see an Edvard Munch show sometime today. That was easily yesterday's highlight. I continue to struggle badly with my novel, and my despair grows daily, and I'll just leave it at that. I asked Oscar if she wants to go with me to see Gilbert Peyre's 'Cupidon, Propriétaire de l'immeuble situé sur l'Enfer et le Paradis' at Centquatre this weekend, and she said yes. He's this supposedly very interesting French theater artist who makes these mechanized/ art/ performance pieces that he calls 'sculpture operas' and this is his new one, and this is a little video trailer/ preview for it. Anyway, I'm excited to see that. Uh, I was just sort of in the dumps otherwise. My sister called to say my dad is stable/okay, but things in the longer term look very bad, so that didn't raise my spirits. Basically, forgetting the dad-related concern, until I can get my novel going again, if I can and if I don't abandon ship, I'll be kind of bad company, I think. But I'll keep trying. That was my day. And yours? ** Math, Excellent about the Apple stuff. That does sound very hopeful. Wow, pal, you've got major upbeat mojo vibes flying at you from overseas. So, tomorrow means today, right? If so, great luck in the second round, and how did it seem to go?Dude, that rat story will keep me out of restaurants for months, which is good. ** You-x, Hey. Sacramento? Okay, I won't inquire further. It's sad that you guys had to part ways, but I hope the move will be a really good one for him. Panda?'s room ... Take pix. That's a Facebook update if I ever saw one. Nice Tuesday to you, J. ** Brendan, Take them to Vegas. Two birds, one stone. Or two stones, one bird? You were the only person to get the secret association with '95 Theses on the Power and Efficacy of Indulgences'. Dude, how brilliant and perceptive are you? This -- hands very far apart -- much. No, but I'll peep at your email today. I promise. I'm just ... whatever I am, behind, depressed, I don't fucking know. Today. Count on it. ** Jax, Hi, Jax! Yeah, the melancholy of the sand sculptures' short lives is the thing for me, I guess. Thanks so much for your thoughts and commiseration on my bad writing patch. I'm a person who, when I can write, can write wherever. But I'm a morning to early afternoon writer. Always have been. I can't change that. It's an energy and focus thing. The point I'm at, it's all editing, rewriting, fooling intricately with the prose. The resetting stuff, I can only do that in a very minimal way 'cos the whole thing is so meticulously substructured, it can't be altered very much without causing the novel even bigger problems. It's just a matter of finding my way back into the particular voice I'm using, 'cos it's all about the voice, this novel, and it's a somewhat unnatural voice on the surface, so it's hard when I lose track of its ways and means. Anyway, like I said, if I can't get a breakthrough soon, I will put it aside, but I really don't want to. Thanks, Jack. Really, thank you. Interesting about the Harlequin thing. Nocturne as in a spin on 'Twilight'? ** Please do find your way into TDFG's Annette Peacock venture, and do say something about it to the man, okay? I'll go ... whatever. See ya.

No comments:

Post a Comment