Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Alan presents ... How Was the Buzz, Though?

----
How Was the Buzz, Though?


“A-wa haf-fi fe-ah eh-ah fo-ma ta-ah.”

“What?”

“A-wa haf-fi fe-ah eh-ah fo-ma ta-ah.”

“What is it?”

Ah wa haf-fi fe-ah eh-ah fo ma ta ah.”

“I have no idea what you’re saying.”

“A-wa haf-fi fe-ah....”

“Yeah?”

“Eh-ah fo-ma ta-ah!”

“This is English?”

“Ah. Ah. Ah.”

“You.”

“A-wa haf-fi.”

“You walked in?”

“Ah wa. Ah wa. Wa.”

“Wa?”

“Wa. Wa. A-wa haf-fi.”

“Wahabi? You’re a Wahabi Muslim?”

“A-wa haf-fi. Haf-fi. Haf-fi.”

“You were having?”

Haf-fi. A-wa haf-fi fe-ah.”

“You were having fear.”

“Haf-fi fe-ah.”

“Having...?”

Haf-fi. Haf-fi.”

“I don’t get it.”

Haf-fi fe-ah. Haf-fi. Haf-fi.”

“Nope.”

“Haf. Haf. Haf, haf, haf. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaa....”

“What are you doing?”

“Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....”

“Huffing. You were huffing.”

“Fe-ah.”

“What?”

“Fe-ah.”

“What are you doing now? Cold? Something cold?”

“Fe-ah. Fe-ah.”

“Feeling cold?”

“Fe-ah. Haf-fi fe-ah.”

“Huffing....”

“Fe-ah.”

“Anti-freeze?”

“Fe-ah.”

“What then? Freeze. Freezing.”

“Fe-ah.”

“Oh, freon?”

“A-wa haf-fi fe-ah.”

“You were huffing freon? Shit.”

“Eh-ah fo-ma ta-ah.”

“And what?”

“Eh-ah fo ma ta ah.”

“Say what?”

“Ah. Ah.”

“You.”

“Fo.”

“Freon?”

“Fo. Fo.”

“Oh, froze.”

“Ma.”

“Your.”

Ta. Ah.

“Your what?”

“Ta. Ta. Ta. Ma ta. Ma ta.”

“Oh.”

“Ah fo-ma ta-ah. Ah fo-ma ta... ah. Fo-ma ta... ah. Fo ma ta... ah! ...Ah! ...Ah!”

“You froze your tongue off huffing freon? Shit.”
----



*

p.s. Hey. D.l. and fiction maestro Alan's pretty, delicate, self-sustaining post is your center of attention for today, and please enjoy it, say something back, and thanks, and thank you a ton, Alan. ** David Ehrenstein, 'Finishing the Hat' is a curious title. Sondheim wrote it? Hm. I'll investigate. ** William Keckler, Greetings, sir! It's an honor to have you here. Thank you for helping make my life worth living day to day, and all the very, very best to you! ** Nick, Hey. Yeah, that Locrian album is a monster, no? I couldn't find your list on the RS blog at a quick glance, but I still have my morning eyes, and I'll scour when I get done here. ** Thomas Moronic, Yeah, Oscar's a great guy, a sweetheart. You'll see. His gallery is really terrific too. Really big congrats on finishing the novella, T! Yeah, do get back on publishing your novel, or I hope you will. Thoughts on where you might submit it? ** David, Hey. You soured on the Pallett? Hm, interesting. Were you in the path of the blizzard? Based on my not so hot geographical sense, I think you ... were? ** Pisycaca, I still haven't read 'Imperial Bedrooms'. It's kind of ridiculous. It's near the top of my pile, though. Clearly, I need to know Dogtooth. I don't think I do unless I'm spacing. Oh, good, on the London trip being seemingly a go. NYE: well, I'm invited to a party at my publishers, and I guess I'll probably do that. Otherwise, mm, no. Fireworks watching maybe, if it's not too cold to stand outside. ** Jordan Castro, Hi, Jordan. Nice to see you, and thanks. I really loved your metazen story. Kudos. Everyone, the fine writer Jordan Castro has an awesome Christmas story up and readable in the Xmas metazen issue, and you can and should find it right here. Take care. ** Math, Hey. It was a really good music year. Pretty superb for fiction too. I could have done a top 30 or so list very easily. Oh, yeah, there were several picks on your music list that could have been on mine if my brain had been working very slightly differently when I made the post: the Caribou and the LCD Soundsystem, especially. The Sleigh Bells was really good too. The car buche: I think the icing was strawberry, and the internal stuff was complicated: chocolate and caramel and I don't know what else. I'm still torn between buying the DK game or 'Epic Mickey', hm. ** Alan, Thank you most sincerely for the exquisite day today, my friend. No, I didn't see the Thek. But I know his work well enough that I felt totally safe listing it sight unseen. And the catalog is fantastic. I think I'll see the show in LA 'cos it's opening there in early spring. Oh, yeah, Charles Ledray is an interesting artist. Wish I could have seen his Whitney show. ** Mark Gluth, Belated Xmas everything to you, man. Thanks much for the lists. Yeah, I forgot the Xiu Xiu, and I almost put the Xasthur on mine. I haven't heard that Arab Strap. I'll check it. Cool. You doing any New Years Eve celebrating to speak of? ** Christopher/ Mark, Hey, Mark! I missed your FB message the other day. I was looking at another page and forgot I'd left FB open and running. It's really wonderful to see you! Yes, the Thek catalog is really terrific, isn't it? Have you seen the show? I imagine you knew Thek to some degree. I never had the privilege, although I saw him across a gallery opening once. ** Killer Luka, I think you get the best Xmas prize. That tort you made looks totally killer, as it were! Everyone, view the chocolate Xmas tort made by Killer Luka, and you might want to slap on a bib before you click that. Wait, the guy you got all, uh, cozy with under the Xmas tree is the guy in that photo you posted later on? If so, holy crap! If so, you get the best Xmas Nobel prize. I would put 'Inception' down as the most ridiculously overrated movie of the year. I think my worst was 'Where the Wild Things Are' 'cos I had such hopes for it, and it was such a misconceived mess and drag. Wait, I thought you couldn't stand Roxy Red. Now you want to see him schtupping? I'm confused. I haven't seen any instances of Mr. Pride and Mr. Red commingling, no. ** Trees, Hey. Well, I don't know a bunch of the stuff on your list either, so my list gets some shame too. Everyone, d.l. Trees' favorite things of 2010 is visible on his Nightmare Sex Tape blog, and, more precisely, here. Check it out. Really tasty Xmas you had there. It vies with Killer Luka's. I have a feeling you're going to have a good New Years Eve too. It just seems like you will. ** Steve Lafreniere, Hey, Steve! Awesome to see you! Did you do your best of 2010 list(s) anywhere that I could see them? Oh, cool if you can make the Lonely Christopher gig. I guess it must be his hometown or his place of origin or something. It's a killer book, his book. Lovely to see you, my friend! ** Sypha, Ha ha, I love how you say you didn't read too many books from this year and then list more 2010 titles than probably half the people here (or anywhere) read this year. Thanks for the lists. As always, your tastes are wonderfully eclectic. ** Jon Reiss, Hey, Jon. I think you can stream 'P.opular S.ky' on Ubuweb. I'm pretty sure. They have most of Ryan Trecartin's work available for free viewing. Thanks about 'Them', man. That Xiu Xiu/JD show sounds incredible. Envy city. I don't know a couple of your music picks, so I'll go find out about them. How was the blizzard? It sounded so exciting. ** Bmirov, Hey, Ben! It's a real pleasure. I loved your book a lot. Amazing work. I'm really looking forward to 'VORTEXTS'. Thanks about my music list. Yeah, nice, take care, man. ** Steevee, Hey. I'll look for 'Aftermath', for sure. I imagine there are Chinese restaurants in Paris, but they're not everywhere you go like I'm used to. There is a sort of Chinatown in the center that's smallish and disorganized, and a large area in the Belleville district, which is where I need to search more closely for said restaurants. Hm, I'm not sure what Jewish Parisians eat for Xmas dinner. It seems like everyone here eats fois gras, but I'll ask some friends here what they ate. ** Chilly Jay Chill, Hey. Joe Sacco, okay, cool. I'll get that. Thanks! Oh, you saw 'Mother'. I'm beating myself up for missing that when it was here because I loved 'The Host'. I really want to see 'Mother'. And 'Carlos', which I missed too, more understandably because it was the long version and sans subtitles. Gonna check the music stuff you mentioned that I don't know. Yeah, the NP is kind of an oversight, but, I don't know, it didn't addict me intensely like their albums usually do. Might have been my mood. I've been meaning to dig back into it. ** Syreearmwellion, Hey, man! Great to see you! Excellent lists. I'm going to pursue a bunch of your picks that I don't know. The web videos list was cool. I'll be all over that list in a bit. A lot of 2's in your videogame list. Interesting. I'd love a copy of your new book. Yeah, that'd be great because I don't have a Kindle or anything. Thanks! If it officially goes up on Amazon, let me know so I can alert and link people up to it. ** Toniok, Hey, pal. Thanks a lot for the lists. I don't know that Villiers de l'Isle-Adam book. I wonder if it's in English. I'll check. You good? I hope so. ** Squeaky, Howdy, D. Oh, I've wanted to see 'House' for forever! I didn't know it's out via Criterion. Excellent news, thank you. Yeah, dying to see that. The best of the best to you! ** Thomas, Hi! Really good to see you! Yeah, I need to buy new shoes kind of badly. I'm about to go to NYC where the freeze and the snow are kind of inevitable, and I'll be fucked if I stick with the holey shoes I've got. Terrific list. Oh, yeah, the Circus Devils record, of course. It got lost in the Pollard shuffle, but it's superb. And thank you very much for the Xmas card. Brought a tear to my eye and tap to to my toes. Take care, bud. ** Bill, You're in Asia? You travel more than I do, and I feel like I travel a lot, even though I don't. Wow. Have fun. Report back. I'm going to look into that Georges-Olivier book you listed. Intriguing. ** Andrew, I love me some carbs too. Big staple of my vegetarian diet, but it has to been kept a little in check and supplemented with some healthy stuff or otherwise, yeah, fatness and so on. Yeah, you can shoplift, just don't rat me out if they catch you. ** MANCY, Hi, man. Oh, you saw Rollerball live. I really want to see Rollerball live. A fine list. I'm glad you got into the 'Call Back the Giants' album too. Take care. ** Chris Cochrane, Hi, C. 'Sweeney Todd' is amazing. Or I think so. I have to remember to ask you to talk to me about Kiefer when I'm in NYC. I really dislike his work, and I'm curious to hear your thinking on it. Jennifer Miller! Favorite Ashbery book? That's tough. He's so consistently great. When I was younger, 'Tennis Court Oath' was my favorite. I still love it, but, gosh, I love 'Flow Chart' a lot. 'Three Poems', 'Houseboat Days', ... So many, really. Are you looking for a first book of his to read, or ... ? If so, I'd say probably get the 'Selected Poems' because it's really hard to single out a particular book of his or even a few. ** L@rstonovich, Ha ha, yeah, sorry about the no graphics on the poetry list. I think I was just burnt out by the time I did the poetry and internet lists. Thanks for your picks. New song, nice. ** Frank Jaffe, Hey, Frank! Gracias for the lists, man. I'm so glad I haven't seen 'Black Swan' because I just know I'm going to hate it, and I think I'd probably would have said grr under my breath every time someone mentioned it in their lists. Or maybe not. They say miracles can happen. Oh, Foals, yeah, I liked that one too. Cool. My holidays are going well, and I just know yours are. I just know it. ** Nb, Yeah, like I said, I've got to see 'Dogtooth'. How, I don't know. You're going home tomorrow, right? You okay? ** Panda?, Hey, mighty Panda?! How awesome to see you, man. You thought I didn't like the album? What, are you crazy, ha ha? It's fucking fantastic! Your best work yet, and that's really saying something. I bow ever so deeply to it and to you, you source of brilliance, you. Thanks a lot for your list. I agree with everything on it except that I can't get into Joanna Newsom at all for some reason. Fingernails on a chalk board. Weird, I know. How are you doing? What's happening? Take care, my friend. ** Steven Trull, Hey. Gosh, thanks. I just yesterday read this funny blog post by ... I can't remember ... about Janey Smith's shocking but ultimately okay gender. And an interview with her too. Yesterday was JS Day for some reason. ** Hedi, Hi, Hedi! Greetings from icy but very pretty looking (through a window) Paris. Your list is super interesting. Pearl Harbor ... you don't mean that 80s band Pearl Harbor, do you? Lucky you to get to see that Girls/ Holy Shit show. I don't think either of them have made it to Paris yet, or I missed them. I don't think I know Francoiz Breut. I'm going to google that name. Buffy St. Marie! Wow. I love her. I wish ATP would do one of those 'get an older artist to play one of their classic albums' live thing and have BSM play 'Illuminations'. Anyway, yeah, such rich choices. Thanks a lot, Hedi. I hope I'll get to see you when I come to LA next. And come to Paris (after it warms up a bit). ** Creative Massacre, Hey. Thanks for the lists. I saw the author of that Riot Grrrl book do a reading from it while I was in NYC. It was cool. Wow, your band! That's so great! I really like that track a lot. More, more, more. It's a terrific song. Yeah, the band seems super promising. Let me .,. Everyone, d.l. Creative Massacre has started a new synthish punkish band called KUNT PUNT, and they've just recorded their first track, and it's really good, and you can hear it by clicking this link and then clicking the Play icon on the cassette tape. Please do. Really nice, pal. ** Misanthrope, Oh, gosh, you're always so nice. Yeah, I have several traumatic birthdays in my past that I don't even want to talk about. I just want a nice Mexican food dinner and a healthy Facebook birthday wishes turn-out this time. And a billion dollars tax free. And a time machine. And maybe a couple of other little things. ** Adjoun, Hey! Oh, thank you a lot for the videos list. That's both a fresh approach, and you will make my afternoon a very rich one. Too many links to link up, but ... Everyone, Adjoun put together a lovely 'best of' video works from 2010 list complete with links to each choice, and it's too complicated to recreate here, but go back to yesterday's comments and scroll down to almost the bottom, and you'll find the list/links, and click them, because Adjoun's sublime sensibility guarantees that those blue phrases lead to wonders. Thank you a lot, E! I'll go watch them very shortly. ** The Dreadful Flying Glove, I just knew I'd get to see you one more time before you transform to our only South African d.l. Thank you much for the lists. And I'm thrilled to know about those sites /blogs, so special thanks for them. Everyone, internet recommendations from the great Dreadful Flying Glove, and I guarantee they're beyond well worth your time. Here he is: 'Aaron Bady's blog blew up after he made smart, insightful work of the whole WikiLeaks thing, but I'd discovered it earlier in the year and it's been essential reading. Pink Tentacle continues to offer up surreal and provocative culture and art from Japan without all the Johnny Foreigner horseshit.' He also urges you towards Geeta Dayal's blog (she wrote a book on Brian Eno's 'Another Green World' that he also recommends). Yeah, thanks so much. Please have a very, very safe trip, and please, please check in once you get there and settled so I'll know you're all right and how precisely all right you are. Lots of love to you! ** We're done for now. You're with Alan for the next roughly 24 hours. See you afterwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment