Monday, August 30, 2010

First Show, GTalk, Fantasy Football, Political Ads and The Emmys....

So Matt-Man and I had our first official show on Sunday.  We had some tech problems that kind of threw things off a bit, but it wasn't all that bad.  I listened to it in the archives which was difficult because I really hate listening to myself.  I noticed that I need to turn my mic down a bit cause DAMN I WAS LOUD and I noticed that I talked over people too much too.  Of course, my mic being turned up so loud made that even worse. 

But, all in all I guess it wasn't too bad.  I really appreciate everyone who tuned in either live or listened in archives.  And thanks to Dana and Lindra Medrano for calling in.  And a couple of other people who called in too, who don't have blogs.  We'll do it again next at the same time and same place.

If you didn't get a chance to listen to the show, and would like to, you can do so RIGHT HERE

--

So, have any of you guys used the new Call feature in Google Mail?  It. Freaking. Rocks.  I'm a very surprised, hell I'm shocked even, that it works so great.  I've gotten so used to new Google products sucking balls, that I just expected this one to be crappy too.  But, it's great.  You can call land lines from your computer for free (if you're in the US or Canada) through the end of the year, and make international calls very cheap.  After the first of the year, calls to cell phones and land lines will have a fee, but I'm guessing it's going to be cheap.  Cheaper than Skype even. 

Also, just as with Skype, you can make computer to computer calls using either the Google chat in gmail or by downloading GTalk.  Again, the sound quality is super good.  Way better than I expected.  And, it's lots of fun!

I even used the call feature to call in for the show on Sunday and I think it worked better than Skype. Other than that me being so loud thing.

Anyway, I just thought I'd see who is using it.  And, my email is in my profile if anyone is using it.

--

As of the writing of this post, I have completed two fantasy football drafts with one more to go.  Maybe two.  Haven't decided for sure on the other one.  Both have worked out pretty good, but I did make a minor mistake on the draft in my own league.  Somehow I didn't draft a QB until the 9th round and got stuck with Kevin Kolb at QB.  I might have to see if I can make a trade or two and improve that position without ruining the rest of my team.

It's kind of tough to get people to make trades sometimes.  I think that people too often are only willing to make a trade if it is super one-sided.  But, that rarely happens.  They also tend to think things like "Well, this trade will really help me, but I don't want to do anything that will make any other team better."  Which is pretty silly if you ask me. 

Anyway, when I make trades in fantasy sports I take on any one of four personalities..

1) Mafia type:  "What's this uh?  You wanna do bidness? Let's do bidness here.  Don't give me this bullshit.  Let's just do bidness!"

2) Big corporate type.  I put on an expensive suit, pour a drink and light up a cigar and take a very cautious approach to the trade offer.

3) Old man at an auction:  I put on overalls and a John Deere hat and react to every offer with a slight turn of the head and a whistle and say "I don't know buddy, that's kinda pricey. I don't know if I can go that high."

4) I just do like Cartman and say "Ow! You're breaking my balls here!"


--

One of the topics for last week's show was Pet Peeves.  And, since I didn't get to mention this one (because I forgot) I thought I would bring it up here.

Since it's an election year, the campaign ads have started already around these parts.  And, since we get out TV from both Little Rock and Springfield, MO we get subjected to ads in both states.  Lucky us, huh?  Anyway, there is this democrat running for congress in Missouri against an incumbent republican for a congressional seat.  His ad is everything that annoys me about political ads.

It starts off by showing us his bible that he carried with him at all times.  Next we see this guy walking down the street carrying a big American Flag.  Then we get a short segment where they attack his opponent's record.  Finally, the ad closes with this guy shooting a shotgun into the woods. 

That's it.  He has told us nothing here.  He carries a bible, walks around waving a big American Flag and randomly fires his shotgun off into the woods. 

So what?

I have a feeling that if anyone asked him what he proposes to do about our unemployment problem he just answers "Hey look! I put little American Flags on my Bible and my shotgun!"

What a complete waste of time and money.  Which I guess means he's perfectly qualified for the position he's running for.

--

Okay, I admit it, I watched the Emmys.  I always watch all the awards shows.  And, as awards shows go, this years Emmys weren't all that bad.  But, I do have one small bone to pick with them.  As usual they left someone out of their "In Memoriam" segment where they honor TV types who have passed away in the last year.

This year it was writer/producer David Mills.  Not only was Mills an Emmy winning writer (for "The Corner" but he wrote for some of the greatest TV shows of all time.  Shows like "The Wire" and "Treme" come to mind immediately.

But, NBC, if you haven't heard of those shows, maybe you've heard of "ER" and "Homicide: Life on the Streets."

Yeah, he wrote for shows on your own shitty network and you still left him off.  Maybe that's why you're such a shitty network, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment