Wednesday, March 16, 2011

I'm Funnier and More Offensive Than Gilbert Gottfried...



From Gilbert Gottfried's Twitter (via BuzzFeed):

“Japan is really advanced. They don't go to the beach. The beach comes to them.

“I just split up with my girlfriend, but like the Japanese say, “They'll be another one floating by any minute now.”

“My Japanese doctor advised me to stay healthy. I need 50 million gallons of water a day.”

“I was talking to my Japanese real estate agent. I said “is there a school in this area.” She said “not not, but just wait.”

“What does every Japanese person have in their apartment? Flood lights.”


Eh, that's enough. If you want to read all of 'em you can click the link. Of course, Gilbert got fired for as the AFLAC Duck for these tweets. Now, I'm not going to make the argument that he shouldn't have been fired. I take the same position with Gottfried as I did with Don Imus and Dr. Laura. The companies that these people work for have the right to decide that they don't want to be represented by them anymore. They can hire and fire whomever they want.

What amazes me though is how quickly the Fake Outrage Machine gets cranked up anytime someone says something “insensitive.” And, it isn't enough to for people to just say “well, I'm not going to support that person anymore after that.” That's your own prerogative. No, what most people want to destroy the person who has been insensitive and make sure they no longer have their jobs the ability to make a living in their field.

Remember the Dixie Chicks? How can we not. I mean saying that they're embarrassed that George Bush is from Texas? What a truly horrible and outrageous thing to say. And, as result, their music wasn't played on country music stations for a long time.

Anyway, full disclosure here, I had a much funnier joke that Gilbert. Wanna hear it? Okay..

My Japanese girlfriend broke up with me. It's okay though, as they say, they're plenty more in the sea.”

Okay, so you're all gonna tell me that that wasn't funny at all. It was offensive. Some of you will even be OMG OUTRAGED!!!! Should Blogger shut down my blog for that joke? Will I lose all my readers and be shunned by my fellow bloggers over it?

Or, is it okay that I only shared that joke with a handful of people and it was done so privately? Is that the real rule here? The jokes are funny if we're sitting around drinking a beer and not in a public setting? Because if you're gonna tell me that you've never told an inappropriate or “too soon?” joke, then I'm gonna, well, be skeptical.

Like I said, I don't care that they fired Gottfried. ALFAC decided they didn't want him representing their company. Fair enough. But, just about everyone I know who has condemned Gilbert for his tweets have themselves shared “politically incorrect” jokes, or defended someone who made racial, or other “unacceptable” jokes. And I don't know any of them who have lost their jobs over it.


Well, it's Thursday and it's St. Patrick's Day kids. You know what that means? Yup, it's time for another episode of “I'm With Stupid!” And this week Matt-Man and I are celebrating everything Irish. Things like potatoes, Guinness, Jameson Whiskey, Car Bombs. Stuff like that. Also, I sat down and did a very special interview with my great, great, great, great grandmother Mary Loy who grew up north of Dublin, Ireland.

All that and more, including your phone calls this week on “I'm With Stupid!” Join us, won't you?
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment