Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday (106)

Prized (Birthmarked, Book 2) by Caragh O'Brien

Note: there may be spoilers for the first book, Birthmarked.
In the thrilling follow up to Birthmarked, sixteen-year-old midwife Gaia Stone has fled from the Enclave and now must fight for her baby sister’s survival in the matriarchal society of Sylum.

Striking out into the wasteland with nothing but her baby sister, a handful of supplies, and a rumor to guide her, 16-year-old midwife Gaia Stone survives only to be captured by the people of Sylum, a dystopian society where women rule the men who drastically outnumber them, and a kiss is a crime. In order to see her sister again, Gaia must submit to their strict social code, but how can she deny her sense of justice, her curiosity, and everything in her heart that makes her whole?
So Birthmarked was one of the most impressive books I read last year, and I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for the sequel. And it sounds like it will be just as good, if not better, than the first book. Escaping a dystopian society, only to be thrown into another dystopian society! Women ruling men! (But this being dystopic?) I can't wait to read more about Gaia, and wonder if a certain hot gentleman will make a reappearance...

*grin*

Prized will be published in hardcover by Roaring Brook Press on November 8, 2011.

On a related note, they changed the paperback cover of Birthmarked. Check the hardcover vs. paperback covers below. What do you think? I think I like the change. The hardcover was a bit too...random, in my opinion. I like that the paperback moves away from a model's face and instead focuses on a significant artifact in the story.

Hardcover     ||     Paperback

No comments:

Post a Comment