



















----
*
p.s. RIP: Poly Styrene, Ira Cohen. Hey. So, we've reached that melancholy day: the series finale of Bernard Welt's venerable, historically explosive Golden Boys. Please savor #9 and bid our antique, naked friends a fond farewell in your respective manners. Thank you, and thank you, B, and, dude, if you're up for a second season of episodes by any chance, say the word and the slot is yours. It's cleaning/exile day here, so, ... the usual. ** Postitbreakup, Mm, I have to say your comments bewildered me, and it wasn't until I read Wolf's response that I started to understand what you were getting at. First, to basically repeat what she and others said, one day Itmpw told me about his day and asked me about mine. I told him, and it became something we do every time he's here. I enjoy doing it mostly because I really like reading his day reports and his writing, and responding with my reports is fair and kind of interesting/ challenging for me to do. I don't do it because I have some need or interest to recount my days. It's something he and I do, and we enjoy it, and the reports are open to the public, and, obviously, people read them and respond to things in them, and that's totally cool and part of the deal. But they're not a regular feature of the p.s., and I have no interest in ever making them that. If he's here, we do it, and, if not, we don't. If he isn't here some day, and you or anyone wants to say, you know, it doesn't look like Itmpw is going to post today, so, here's what I did yesterday, and could you tell me what you did, I would. Simple as that. It's not privileged information, but it's also something that I have no inherent interest in doing unless some asks. The idea that it's somehow unfair of me not to recount my day every day here is just bizarre to me. And as for the 'hearing from YOU' thing, I mean, really, wtf. I wake up, drink coffee, smoke a cigarette or two, sit down at my laptop and spend three to five hours every day except Sunday doing the p.s. I can't imagine how you or anyone could expect or want any more of ME in this context than that. And the veiled reference/idea that there are others here who feel the way you do but who don't 'dare to agree' is kind of an obnoxious gesture. Your unhappiness is a concern to me, and I care about you, but I think it's important to keep in mind that although this is an unusual blog, it's still a blog. We're all sitting at our computers at our various points on the globe communicating here. We're comrades, friends, and I'm the host. I know some people here in the real world, and some I don't. In the case of Itmpw, I don't know what he looks like, his age, where he lives exactly, etc., and I have no interaction with him outside the blog, but I feel the same kinship with and interest in him here as I do with Kiddiepunk and Oscar whom I see almost every day. To kind of repeat what I think Wolf said to you, and to reiterate something I've said to you repeatedly, I think your occasional explosions of neediness and jealousy here are misplaced and counterproductive. They never seem to resolve whatever the problem is on your end, and they confuse me because I feel like you're asking me to do something I surely couldn't do even if I understood what you were asking for, and they don't take into account what this place is and how it works and what it can and can't do. I don't know what else to say. ** Bernard Welt, I'm serious about that second season of 'Golden Boys' if you're feeling it. Richard always liked you too, and he asked after you when I saw him. ** MANCY, I am too this morning strangely. I hope it's not going around. ** Sypha, Hey. Well, yeah, I certainly hope you like it. It was just that certain things you came down on in the piece on Blake's book are things my novel is deliberately doing. So, it's a wait and see, I guess, ha ha. Yeah, less stress, good. I'm a pragmatist, as you well know, so I think that's the spirit. Friendship isn't a bad way to start no matter what happens. ** Steevee, Yeah, really sad and unexpected about Poly Styrene. I might be wrong, but I think someone from here interviewed her not long ago. She and X-Ray Spex were amazing. Okay, well, great about the collab. If more names spring to mind, let me know 'cos I'll need more than four artists to make the post, I think. Or maybe not. Hm, I'll start doing some 'legwork' myself. Sorry, of course, to hear about the see-sawing weight thing. What a drag. ** Schoolboyerrors, Hey, man. Favorite stand-up ... Hm. That's hard because it's not a form that interests me very much, I don't know why. I mean it's quite an interesting form if one rarely enacted with much innovation that I can see. And I have tendency to knee-jerk switch off any stand-up stuff I come across. So, when you ask, I just think of really obvious past stand-up greats like Andy Kaufman and Richard Pryor and Bill Hicks and so on. That Stewart Lee books sounds really interesting. I think reading about the form in the words of a practitioner might be a really good way in, so I'll check out that book. Man, your Easter really did suck. Now I'm happy that mine basically didn't exist apart from eating the free chocolate Easter eggs divvied out at that Utrecht hotel. Welcome home. ** Killer Luka, Hey, Killer. Oh, shit, that's weird and that sucks about the confusion of your show's dates. I hope the website thing is just a glitch or a case of forgetfulness or laziness on the gallery's part. Jesus. Well, surely if they gave you new dates and haven't told you anything new directly, they're still the dates. I don't know. Sorry about the stress. Please let me know how that resolves. In the meantime, extremely gorgeous new work, whoa. Everyone, the great artist Killer Luka has a new drawing fit to be tied by your eyesight, and you know what that means. Here's the drawing, and here's a close up/detail of the face portion. Feast! Lots of love to you, buddy. ** Jax, Yeah, indeed. Totally sucks. ** Chilly Jay Chill, Hey. Oh, I must have spaced on the earlier reference. Anyway, weirdly, the galleys are in fact ready and going out, so it's a weird coincidence. Thanks again, Jeff, and I'll be writing to you. I never heard 'Translucence', but I have read that it's quite good. I'll find it, and I'll go hear that Tino track too. ** Wolf, Thanks a lot for what you said to Postit. It really helped me understand what he was saying. Awesome you liked the Day. The goat, or rather sheep in the recent version, is definitely flinch city for me too. Such is its ... uh, power? The interesting thing is that in all the performances so far, not one person has objected to that image. The sense is that it's earned or something. I don't know. Confusing, intense. ** Pisycaca, Hi, Montse! Oh, we both liked them plenty all right, and that 'dulce de leche' thing has me symbolically dribbling all over my t-shirt. Wow, that sounded ugly. You know what I mean. I'm the honored one, my friend. Big, big time. ** Alfonso, Hey, I'm really glad you came back, and thanks a lot for telling me more about yourself and what you do. That's fascinating. So, the school in Milan where you'll be studying will allow you to concentrate on your writing and directing talents/ interests? I'm guessing that you'll get to develop and perform your works under the school's auspices and in its program? It's so great that you're letting yourself concentrate so fully on your work. As you probably know, I've had this amazing opportunity for about the last six years to work regularly in theater with my friend Gisele as a writer and as a dramaturg, the latter being a talent I still feel like I'm slowly understanding and getting a hang for, and it's been just thrilling. So, yeah, I understand your excitement, and I'm excited for you. Are you working on a particular piece at the moment? Anyway, it's really good to have you here. Thanks a lot! ** David Ehrenstein, Hi, David. What was that Vitellos thing? I didn't completely understand. Yury as Rimbaud, ha ha, sure, why not? Thanks, man. ** Dusty Rose, Hey, pal. I guess TDFG addressed your question. I like Chavez a lot too. What's happening on your end? You getting the work you want to do accomplished? ** Chris Cochrane, Hi, Chris. I think Lynne's book is in the mail to me, or I was told it was, and I sure hope so 'cos I'm chomping at the bit. Yeah, I saw that video. Very cool. Have you guys talked with Ben about what happened vis-a-vis possible gig offers or anything? I'm obviously really anxious to keep the ball rolling. Lots of love, man. ** Schlix, Hi, Uli. I don't know if I know these German post-rock bands you mention, but, uh, maybe I needn't bother, based on what you say? Any tips? You good? ** Misanthrope, My hand on your back permanently. Now that's an idea. Or ... maybe not. Great you got the proofing proofed. A Day would be most awesome, if that pans out. I'm in sore need of guest-posts, to be frank. It would help ward off the possibility of something desperate, oh, Euro Coin Day or My Big Toe Day or ... you get the idea. ** Alan, Hey, man. ** Klangerin, Hey, welcome. It's a pleasure to meet you. Thanks a lot for answering my heartfelt plea about Pasolini. Hm, I think your suggestion that I could start by reading his novel is a great idea. That actually could really help, and I've long meant to read it. So, yeah, inspired suggestion, and I'm going to start hunting his novel down today. Please do feel more than free to hang out here, if you like. I'd be interested to know about you and what you do and so on, if you don't mind sharing. ** Math, Hey. Oh, you know, it's totally cool to say nothing or say meh or whatever when you feel like it. I don't want the nice comment rule to be in place here unless it's a post about Robert Pollard or Bresson, in which case naysayers will be doomed, ha ha. You know, that quip about 'if Itmpw is here' was just intended as a light quip, but I guess I didn't realize that people actually anticipate the day reports. Anyway, sorry if that was weird of me to say. I understand. So, the world is all mercury and retrograde and all that right now? Hm, maybe that's the culprit. Hunh. ** Inthemostpeculiarway, Hey. Yeah, it's kind of weird today. I feel like I'm talking to you onstage or something, ha ha. Oh, the nubby filters, yeah, got it. That makes sense. I smoke lights, and I wonder if you did or if the lights' filters are less nubby. It's so weird 'cos, really, there's hardly anything about the royal wedding here, and I don't even know when it is, but it seems like Americans are being tortured by it. That's the first I've seen or heard about that 3D French horror movie, which is kind of strange. That trailer sure isn't wildly exciting. Still, the French have made some pretty good horror movies in recent-ish years, so ... Well, I'm going to find out when that movie opens here. Curious. Thank you for waking me up to its existence. I feel kind of a bit strange about doing my day report too after all that. Self-conscious or something. Luckily, it was an uneventful day apart from a really nice visit with my pals Cyril and Laurent who used to be d.l. regulars on the blog in the old days known collectively as CyCyLoLo. So, how about we take a day to regroup and get back to our day sharing tomorrow. Sound good? If so, then, yes, how was your Wednesday, my friend? ** Tender prey, Hi, Marc. What a great comment re: the Post-Rock Days. That was a joy. Thank you, and I'm glad it met your suggestion. The studio move is in-progress, eh? I'm guessing you don't even need to hire a moving truck or anything? The UK is so fucked on the arts funding front that I wonder if 'Them' will get to play there. If Queer Up North hadn't been killed by the cuts, I think that would have been a real possibility. Now, I don't know. Maybe if the ICA ends up programming one of Gisele's pieces, which is in the works or hopefully, and if that goes well, the ICA could be a 'Them' venue. We'll see. Thanks again, Marc! ** The Dreadful Flying Glove, Maestro, thank you once and forever again! Soft Pink Truth is precisely what I need today. How did you know? Is there no end to your prestidigitating? Actually, as I was walking home from my aforementioned meeting with my chums, I noticed that the official headquarters of the Society of French Prestidigitators is located right near where I live, and I got excited, as you can well imagine. Anything you have in the pipeline would be cinnamon toast, man. And it doesn't get any better than cinnamon toast. ** JoeM, Hi, Joe. Oh, awesome about that plan in the works. Yes, please, let me know the scoop when you're ready. That's exciting! Yeah, Poly Styrene was such an awesome creature. So sad. Take care, Joe. ** Okay, I leave you to the sad but rampaging lust-filled occasion of Golden Boys #9, and I'll catch up with you in the late morning/ early afternoon my time.
No comments:
Post a Comment